Hustler Z not charging

superduty_59

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler Z 60" deck 24hp Honda. 1700 hrs Mowed for the first time last week and everything went good. This week I mowed all the front and went to the back. Engine started to sputter then died. Would just click after that. Jumped it and headed back to the house. I kicked on the PTO and mowed 2 strips and sputtered and died like before. Jumped it. Checked the battery with my meter. Full throttle about 12.4 v. Unplugged my coil leads and got 36.67 vac and about 14.06 amps. This is the 20 amp charging system. I know the amps are a little low but I'm thinking it's a bad 20 amp rectifier/ regulator. I would like to know for sure before spending $100 on a new rectifier/ regulator. Thanks

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Hustler Z 60" deck 24hp Honda.

There is some basic troubleshooting you can do on the engine side of the ignition parts. There are a number of versions of the Honda 24hp v-twin [is yours a vertical shaft or horizontal?], so share the full serial number and I'll try and dig up a few test points for you.

On the big v-twins, the engine serial number is stamped on the base of the engine and is in the format "GXXXX-1234567"

gxv640_zpsdxnumfog.jpg

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay, so when the engine dies, it won't start back up, e.g. starter motor will not turn. But, will start right up if a jump battery is connected?

If this is the case, then then either the battery is shot, or the engine is not charging it.

So easy to inspect / test the charging on this engine. Keep in mind, if it passes all the tests, you may have a bad battery or poor battery connections.

Inspect the regulator/rectifier; measure resistance using an ohmeter:

reg-rec%20gxv670_zpsavx8pxvr.jpg

Next, check leads on charge coil; be sure to fully disconnect it, and it resistance between the leads to the coil should measure between 0.08~0.12 ohms.

Finally, carefully inspect the wiring harness, battery cables and terminals, etc. for any damage or corroded pins, plugs, connections.

superduty_59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your help Robert. Yes when the engine dies. The battery is discharged at that point and will not start till you jump it. Battery terminals are clean and tight. Not running when you turn on the key with a meter attached you can see a draw on the battery. Battery voltage drops. Turn the key off and battery voltage starts to climb. At full throttle with a meter on the battery it only reads 12.4 vdc. I did check resistance between the pins on the rec/reg. A few pins the resistance was steady and in range but others were higher resistance and above the high range and still others were jumping all over the place. Will check with another meter when I get home.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few pins the resistance was steady and in range but others were higher resistance and above the high range and still others were jumping all over the place. Will check with another meter when I get home.

If you have access to an equivalent battery, I'd test with it if you still have the same issues.

If it does absolutely looks like the reg/rect, you want Honda Part Number 31620-ZG5-033, $134.20 list. A new 20A coil assembly is Part Number 31630-ZJ1-802, $135.90.

Beware, most dealers do not offer refunds on electrical parts.

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

superduty_59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a new Honda regulator/ rectifier. Installed and is now charging correctly. Thanks

skycranemech

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this is a old thread but would replacing a rectifier possibly solve my solve my problem of no spark to the spark plugs? as far as I can tell through ohming charge coil, the eng kill thing goes to coils , safety switches , this is the only thing that isn't ringing out right, How can I check the coils themselves? new plugs grounded out and no spark off either when cranking. I removed wire from oil pressure switch , I noticed light was out , so this must be a normally closed switch ,open by oil pressure cause when I reattached and cracked the red light went out, so must have good oil pressure. put new fuel pump on ,and cleaned carb, fuel shut off works . I know it's just a electric with my spark issue , but I bought this new in 2002 fastrak Z ,20 hp honda , and this is really first time I've had a issue with it except for fuel tank rubber outlet and set plugs . Any help would be great , 134.00 for a rectifier when it could be coil is steep. I could post resultes of the test on rectifier if needed. Ps. I have had issues of drained battery before , but not very often to make me think charging was bad , more that, oh ya probably due for new battery.

Thanks for ya'lls help
Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No,
All mower engines are flywheek magneto and generate the spark independant of the 12V charging system.
The caveat on this is ones that have those advance modules that require 12 to work, but again the spark comes from the flywheel only the control uses battery voltage.

If you have a single thin wire from each spark coil and they just connect together then go into the loom, disconnect that wire and check the coils for sparks again at cranking speeds.
All of the safety switches ground out those thin wires.

skycranemech

Forum Newbie
Threads
No,
All mower engines are flywheek magneto and generate the spark independant of the 12V charging system.
The caveat on this is ones that have those advance modules that require 12 to work, but again the spark comes from the flywheel only the control uses battery voltage.

If you have a single thin wire from each spark coil and they just connect together then go into the loom, disconnect that wire and check the coils for sparks again at cranking speeds.
All of the safety switches ground out those thin wires.

Thanks , yes I disconnected the little spade connector of each coil pack and still no sparking while cranking? the little box they run into before going to the loom seems to function ok , opens circuits with key on and closes to ground with key off on the spade connectors. so that leads to coils packs or the charge coil? Charge coil ohm I believe at .1 ohm. .. I just found a way to check the coil packs primary and secondary but it didn't give the values so that not much help.