XT675-2070 engine problems

Lrobby99

Threads
Hi: On this Toro I just bought used, the engine ran fairly well, but would need some 3-5 pulls. Only 1-2 years old, but not well maintained. To make it start easier, today I installed the Kohler spark plug and air filter. Refilled with fresh fuel, and added some fuel injector additive I had on hand. Started and ran okay in the garage. Mowing, uncovered problems.

First of all the engine runs several minutes, then quits. Then is either hard to start or won't start.
And, there is fuel seeping out from under the fuel cap. The tank it not overfilled. The fuel level is about 3 inches from the bottom of the neck. I think a gasket is missing. I have searched for the p/n online, but no luck yet.

Engine warm, it runs pretty smooth. Only stalls while cutting. I have the height way up and am not overloading the engine.

Any suggestions appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My first thought would be a fuel cap that isn't venting. But from the parts diagram you should have a line coming off the top of the tank which most likely goes to the air cleaner housing, which means you have a non vented fuel cap. Make sure the vent line isn't clogged up with something. It sounds like the fuel tank is getting a vacuum, or pressurizing.

Lrobby99

Threads
My first thought would be a fuel cap that isn't venting. But from the parts diagram you should have a line coming off the top of the tank which most likely goes to the air cleaner housing, which means you have a non vented fuel cap. Make sure the vent line isn't clogged up with something. It sounds like the fuel tank is getting a vacuum, or pressurizing.

Right after posting this the thing started right up and ran for about 10 mins. Again fuel was seeping under the cap. However, if a cap gasket is missing, could normal vibration and splashing cause that?

The engine sputters and dies like the choke is closing. Cools off then starts again. It's a mystery.

I would sure like to know if the fuel cap is supposed to have a gasket. Nothing in the Kohler or Toro manuals.

Lrobby99

Threads
I did finally find the gas cap p/n, but don't know if a gasket should be in there.

These engines are really hated on Youtube.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
They don't show a gasket, but that doesn't mean there isn't one in the cap, and you have to purchase the cap to get it.

I wonder if you may be having a similar problem that had with the xt173 from 2007-*2009 with the corroded carb needle valve. On some mowers it would stick shut and would run until the fuel was burned out of the carb, but then would have enough seepage past the needle to refill the carb after about 20 minutes.

Lrobby99

Threads
They don't show a gasket, but that doesn't mean there isn't one in the cap, and you have to purchase the cap to get it.

I wonder if you may be having a similar problem that had with the xt173 from 2007-*2009 with the corroded carb needle valve. On some mowers it would stick shut and would run until the fuel was burned out of the carb, but then would have enough seepage past the needle to refill the carb after about 20 minutes.

Good thing I have a back-up mower. A 10 year old MTD with a Honda that has never had a problem. Close the choke, and a little spring slowly opens it while the engine warms.

That is a pretty neat theory. This week the fuel lines will come off, the auto-choke will be examined, the carb will come off and apart.
thanks much.

Jimbodino

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good thing I have a back-up mower. A 10 year old MTD with a Honda that has never had a problem. Close the choke, and a little spring slowly opens it while the engine warms.

That is a pretty neat theory. This week the fuel lines will come off, the auto-choke will be examined, the carb will come off and apart.
thanks much.

Did you solve the leaky gas cap problem on the XT675-2070 engine? I am having the same problem, but it runs fine.

old650gli

Forum Newbie
Threads
my opinion on these gas tanks is to replace both the tank and the cap because the early models swelled because of this new alcohol fuel,but the newer tanks and caps don't leak .and there is no gaskets under the caps. most toro dealers won't even sell these CHINESE KOHLER engines, if they show up in an order, they send them back .the carberators have to be very clean inside or they won't [ONE PULL START] or stay running very long.

tgortva@hotmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna HU675 that has the Kohler xt675 engine and had the same problem. The mower was warrantee for 3 years and took it in for repair just after a year it was purchased. The warrantee was for the mower, not the engine. The engine's warrantee was good for just a year and even though it was only 2 months past they would not honor it.

If you think about it, this is actually a safety hazard and should be recalled. I have seen many posts from different sites having the same issue with this motor.

I believe that over a period of use, the tank opening gets warped from the heat of the engine. It is plastic and directly behind the engine with no firewall between. For mine, I could clearly see the opening was OVAL shaped and therefore had difficulty putting the gas cap on. I ordered a new OEM tank and gas cap. Due to the many attempts to get the cap screwed on right (plastic), the threads eventually got worn. The parts were easily replaced. I added new fuel and the mower ran great after getting it started. Then the next day my wife tried to mow the back but now it starts then immediately shuts off. This time I think the carburetor needs cleaning. This is the last Husqvarna piece of **** I will ever purchase.

First, a chainsaw set my glove on fire because the firewall weld came loose and fell away, then the riding mower didn't have rear locking differential so when I go over uneven lawn and one of the rear tires is off the ground, it just spins and the other rear tire just sits there causing the mower to get stuck. Don't by Husqvarna, the customer support sucks even worse and they don't honor the warrantee or provide shady warrantee. Sorry for the rant. Too much money spent on crap equipment.

primerbulb120

Threads
I have a Husqvarna HU675 that has the Kohler xt675 engine and had the same problem. The mower was warrantee for 3 years and took it in for repair just after a year it was purchased. The warrantee was for the mower, not the engine. The engine's warrantee was good for just a year and even though it was only 2 months past they would not honor it.

If you think about it, this is actually a safety hazard and should be recalled. I have seen many posts from different sites having the same issue with this motor.

I believe that over a period of use, the tank opening gets warped from the heat of the engine. It is plastic and directly behind the engine with no firewall between. For mine, I could clearly see the opening was OVAL shaped and therefore had difficulty putting the gas cap on. I ordered a new OEM tank and gas cap. Due to the many attempts to get the cap screwed on right (plastic), the threads eventually got worn. The parts were easily replaced. I added new fuel and the mower ran great after getting it started. Then the next day my wife tried to mow the back but now it starts then immediately shuts off. This time I think the carburetor needs cleaning. This is the last Husqvarna piece of **** I will ever purchase.

First, a chainsaw set my glove on fire because the firewall weld came loose and fell away, then the riding mower didn't have rear locking differential so when I go over uneven lawn and one of the rear tires is off the ground, it just spins and the other rear tire just sits there causing the mower to get stuck. Don't by Husqvarna, the customer support sucks even worse and they don't honor the warrantee or provide shady warrantee. Sorry for the rant. Too much money spent on crap equipment.

The problems with your push mower are not Husqvarna's fault. It's a Kohler engine, not a Husqvarna engine.