No Spark on 17hp Briggs

Bill Tynes

Threads
I picked up a '92 Snapper RER for parts and discovered that the engine was a 4 year old 17hp Briggs that the man said ran great until the clutch/brake cable broke. He had some problems with the deck (blade hitting the hi-vac curl-under) and just got frustrated and bought a new one. I have a '91 with a bad tranny and was going to swap motors and decks until I saw the great condition of the motor and wanted to keep it if possible (mine is same age but 13.5 hp). The problem is I can't get it started. It turns over great and I've pulled the clutch cable out as far as it will go with vice-grips to simulate the brake being set but still can't get it to fire. (I've ordered a cable but it's not in yet). I guess it could be coil, or some other type of safety feature but I'd like some advice as to what order to check things and how. Have replaced the gas and gas is getting to plug. What next?

jeff

Threads
If it turns over, then it is probably the coil, but first try a new spark plug

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before you change the coil, make sure it is not grounded by 1 of the safety switches.:smile:

ringo17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just had the same problem with a 10.5 briggs...flywheel and coil had rusted, sanded them down, regapped the coil with a business card and it fired right up, The mower had been setting awhile. If you unplug the extra wire coming off the coil and the engine fires it tells youthe kill switches is the problem

Last edited:

Bill Tynes

Threads
Thanks for the information. I'll try both first thing tomorrow. Nothing has worked so far. The coil had a "zap" when I touched it but not as hard as I expected. The solenoid and spark plug check out ok (I have another RER that runs and I tried both in the good engine and they worked fine). Changed out the gas and poured some directly in the carb but it still didn't fire. It has to be one of the two things you have mentioned. There's not much left. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Bill Tynes

Threads
Got it running and it runs great. Now I have another problem. I had to change out the clutch/brake cable and got it done. Next I replaced the rubber drive disc with no problem. But now when I brake I get a terrible screeching sound from the brake/disc area in the back. What could this be? Also when I let out on the clutch the mower pauses for a moment before going. I think I need to adjust the drive disc that comes off the motor and has the two set screws. Does this sound logical? What about the noise? Thanks in advance:confused2: