Walk behind Craftsman 6.5 hp self propelled died..hard to pull now/won't start

gblanchard

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 6.5 hp self propelled died..hard to pull now/won't start
This weekend while mowing the back yard the mower was running fine, ran well through the leaves and small branches.

Then all of the sudden it died. Seems quite hard to pull and will not start or even come close to it. I checked the fuel (half tank), oil (seems a bit dirty and perhaps a bit low - but there - I check it once a month).

Seemed to be pretty hot but would have expected that since I am in Texas and it was 80 at 7a.

Took out the plug, spark but did not seem to make pulling any easier.

Again quite hard to pull, not impossible - some small attempt to kick over but not what I'd call a real try.

Any ideas of course of action or buy another one?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Again quite hard to pull, not impossible

If it is hard to turn the engine over with no spark plug then something is pulling the engine down... Either something is wrapped around th blade/shaft... OR something in the self propelling mechanism is dragging it down ... look at these two things and I bet you will find your trouble... :smile:KennyV
BTW... Welcome to LMF... let us know what you find..

gblanchard

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK thanks. I was turning the blade last night (plug out) and safety handle depressed (clamped). I didn't see anything wrapped around the shaft but I could take off the blade and look again. Self propelled is not engaged as far as I can tell but I'll check that too.

On another note I sprayed WD40 in the plug hole and as I turned the blade (still harder than I would have thought with no plug) I saw WD40 gas coming out of the plug hole in timed bursts so the piston is still moving. Another friend says perhaps the shear pin??? Anyone know if that would make it hard to pull?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Another friend says perhaps the shear pin??? Anyone know if that would make it hard to pull?

With the plug removed ... it should spin free & EASY... something is interfering with it... external OR internal... should not be hard to locate if its external :smile:KennyV

gblanchard

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK so I found dirt around the self propelled drive. I blew that out (nothing wrapped around the shaft).

Easier to pull, so I sprayed WD40 on the drive/pulley shaft. Easier yet, almost started...OK sounded like it might.

Is there a way to clean out the differential/clutch area for the self propelled?

I thought about taking the pulley off but it is screwed onto the shaft and is not a bearing type pulley it is a drive pulley.

Seems a bit better but not there yet!

gblanchard

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK - So I removed the cover under the mower for the main shaft to the power drive and found the belt dislodged from the pulley :rolleyes:. Yayyy! I put it back onto the pulley (not easy) and it started on the first pull, drive worked just fine.

All is well.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

WyrTwister

Threads
Congrats !

God bless
Wyr

lr0584

Threads
Re:YOU MAY HAVE A Craftsman 6.5 hp self propelled died..hard to pull now/won't start

This weekend while mowing the back yard the mower was running fine, ran well through the leaves and small branches.

Then all of the sudden it died. Seems quite hard to pull and will not start or even come close to it. I checked the fuel (half tank), oil (seems a bit dirty and perhaps a bit low - but there - I check it once a month).

Seemed to be pretty hot but would have expected that since I am in Texas and it was 80 at 7a.

Again quite hard to pull, not impossible - some small attempt to kick over but not what I'd call a real try.

Any ideas of course of action or buy another one?

YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE COUNTER BALANCE OF THE CUTTING BLADE. I THINK THERE IS A KEY ON THE CRANK SHAFT THAT KEEPS THE LOWER END OF THE SHAFT IN PLACE, USING THE CUTTING BLADE TO HELP THE MOWER TO BE IN BALANCE . TAKE A LOOK AT THE PART THAT THE BLADE IS ATTACHED TO ,IT SHOULD SLIDE OFF OF THE SHAFT . USE A LITTLE HEAT TO LOOSEN THE COLLAR LOOK FOR THAT KEYWAY , REPLACE IF MISSING OF BROKEN.