Raptor SD (2015) Belt pulley came off.

Oleo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Today is Wednesday. I took delivery of a brand new (0.2 hours on meter) Raptor SD 48" from our local dealer. I did what I thought was sufficient research on the product and came away convinced that this was the mower best suited for our needs. The mower was delivered to my home Monday evening. The driver off loaded the machine and drove it briefly in my front yard, demonstrating its maneuverability, etc. He even offered to cut our side field (approximately 1 acre) to demo the mower's capabilities. We respectfully declined as during his demonstration of the very tight turning radius, he was digging holes into my turf. No biggie, it will grow back. Threatening to rain at any moment, we garaged the mower with plans to mow Tuesday.
Tuesday evening, I drove the mower briefly (not engaging the mower PTO), checked the oil, etc. My wife (whom usually cuts our yard and field) then got on and drove it for about 10 minutes, familiarizing herself with the steering and handling. After a bit, she then proceeded to cut the field. It is flat with no obstacles. Approximately 15 minutes into the mowing, I hear this loud thunk. She didn't hit anything. She immediately shuts down the mower deck and drives the machine to me for inspection. I see the left (drivers perspective) blade hanging beneath the deck. I removed the plastic shroud to find the pulley lying atop the deck along with two large spacers and what appears to be a clamp ring. After an extensive search in the field, we found the top bolt and washer. I checked the top bolt on the center spindle and i could spin (the bolt) freely by hand. I did not remove the other shroud and check that bolt but I am fairly sure I would find the same thing. Long story, I know.

The point is this, shouldn't this unit have been delivered ready to go? Why weren't these bolts tightened to specification? I am mechanically inclined and am able to fix the issues, but this unit has now only 1.0 hours on it and I am already having to replace the left spindle, blade shaft and pulley (the star in the center was reamed).

I wonder, if we had allowed the dealer driver to mow, would it have come apart "on his watch"? Have any of you experienced similar problems? Am I going to have to check this deck each time before I use it to see if it is vibrating apart? I really like the machine. I hope this is an isolated incident. Going to see the dealer this morning. My grass continues to grow...

Oleo

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today is Wednesday. I took delivery of a brand new (0.2 hours on meter) Raptor SD 48" from our local dealer. I did what I thought was sufficient research on the product and came away convinced that this was the mower best suited for our needs. The mower was delivered to my home Monday evening. The driver off loaded the machine and drove it briefly in my front yard, demonstrating its maneuverability, etc. He even offered to cut our side field (approximately 1 acre) to demo the mower's capabilities. We respectfully declined as during his demonstration of the very tight turning radius, he was digging holes into my turf. No biggie, it will grow back. Threatening to rain at any moment, we garaged the mower with plans to mow Tuesday.
Tuesday evening, I drove the mower briefly (not engaging the mower PTO), checked the oil, etc. My wife (whom usually cuts our yard and field) then got on and drove it for about 10 minutes, familiarizing herself with the steering and handling. After a bit, she then proceeded to cut the field. It is flat with no obstacles. Approximately 15 minutes into the mowing, I hear this loud thunk. She didn't hit anything. She immediately shuts down the mower deck and drives the machine to me for inspection. I see the left (drivers perspective) blade hanging beneath the deck. I removed the plastic shroud to find the pulley lying atop the deck along with two large spacers and what appears to be a clamp ring. After an extensive search in the field, we found the top bolt and washer. I checked the top bolt on the center spindle and i could spin (the bolt) freely by hand. I did not remove the other shroud and check that bolt but I am fairly sure I would find the same thing. Long story, I know.

The point is this, shouldn't this unit have been delivered ready to go? Why weren't these bolts tightened to specification? I am mechanically inclined and am able to fix the issues, but this unit has now only 1.0 hours on it and I am already having to replace the left spindle, blade shaft and pulley (the star in the center was reamed).

I wonder, if we had allowed the dealer driver to mow, would it have come apart "on his watch"? Have any of you experienced similar problems? Am I going to have to check this deck each time before I use it to see if it is vibrating apart? I really like the machine. I hope this is an isolated incident. Going to see the dealer this morning. My grass continues to grow...

Oleo

First off, it doesn't sond like the guy who delivered your mower knows much about zero turn mowers. If he did, he would have shown you how to make a Y turn so as not to damage your lawn. It also sounds as though the pulley bolt didn't get tightened when assembled. You being mechanically enclined know things like that happen from time to time. Some dealers go over the mowers when they get them in to make sure everything is tight. It doesn't appear that your dealer does that. The raptor sd is a good mower and you should be fine once you get a few hours on it. Any other loose parts should show up within the first 10 hours or so, or you could go over the mower and make sure all of the moving parts are tight. That is the route I would go if I were in your shoes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First off, it doesn't sond like the guy who delivered your mower knows much about zero turn mowers. If he did, he would have shown you how to make a Y turn so as not to damage your lawn. It also sounds as though the pulley bolt didn't get tightened when assembled. You being mechanically enclined know things like that happen from time to time. Some dealers go over the mowers when they get them in to make sure everything is tight. It doesn't appear that your dealer does that. The raptor sd is a good mower and you should be fine once you get a few hours on it. Any other loose parts should show up within the first 10 hours or so, or you could go over the mower and make sure all of the moving parts are tight. That is the route I would go if I were in your shoes.

If you have not yet fixed it, don't touch it.
Call the mower supplier back tell them there is some ting wrong with the mower ( act like an mechanical idiot ) and see what they do.
If it wa a genuine mistake they should fix it, I would imagine they are busy at the moment an it was an oversight.
If they talk gobblity gook to you then you know they are sleezebags and to be very careful with future dealings.

Secondly you have now made a warrantee claim, should the bearing go or other deck trouble manifect themselves you can throw it back to this claim.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have not yet fixed it, don't touch it.
Call the mower supplier back tell them there is some ting wrong with the mower ( act like an mechanical idiot ) and see what they do.
If it wa a genuine mistake they should fix it, I would imagine they are busy at the moment an it was an oversight.
If they talk gobblity gook to you then you know they are sleezebags and to be very careful with future dealings.

Secondly you have now made a warrantee claim, should the bearing go or other deck trouble manifect themselves you can throw it back to this claim.

It should be covered under the warranty whether the op acts like a mechanical idiot or not. The dealer would do the repairs because they will be paid regardless.

MRCo.

Threads
This will be fixed under warranty, no big deal. It's disappointing but as has been said, things happen. this mower is selling like hot cakes, the factory runs 24/7... Some tired third shift worker missed a torquing. They are great mowers, don't let this phase you.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
This will be fixed under warranty, no big deal. It's disappointing but as has been said, things happen. this mower is selling like hot cakes, the factory runs 24/7... Some tired third shift worker missed a torquing. They are great mowers, don't let this phase you.

Put together on hang over Monday, or ready to party Friday.:laughing:

hustler54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hustler has really dropped the ball on these new mowers. Although not nearly as bad as the Raptor model, the SD Raptor have seemed to be pretty good. Since the inception of the Raptor, fastener torque has really been a handicap for Hustler but I'm not bad mouthing, just calling it like it is. I'm a diehard Hustler fan but it is what it is. The dealer should take care of this problem no questions asked. Hope it works out for ya.

MRCo.

Threads
Hustler has really dropped the ball on these new mowers. Although not nearly as bad as the Raptor model, the SD Raptor have seemed to be pretty good. Since the inception of the Raptor, fastener torque has really been a handicap for Hustler but I'm not bad mouthing, just calling it like it is. I'm a diehard Hustler fan but it is what it is. The dealer should take care of this problem no questions asked. Hope it works out for ya.
I'd take issue with the dropped the ball statement. Look at the 4000 or so a month they make and a few loose fasteners is pretty damn good failure rate- much better than NASA designated for the space shuttle!

hustler54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey MRCo, didn't mean to upset ya or nothing, don't get me wrong Hustler makes a great product, that's the reason I bought one. Simple design compared to other manufactures, not nearly the moving parts.

The only problems I've seen on the Raptor SD was an issue with the stub shaft for the PTO clutch, not all of them, there was only a certain serial run that needed an update, I think I did 6 or 7. The reason I brought up the Raptor on this thread was because they did have a problem with fasteners loosening, just saying it could have been the spindle nut didn't get torqued and not something serious, you know just a fluke thing like 1 in 100 or something.

Can we still be friends?:laughing:

MRCo.

Threads
You didn't upset me a bit. I just recalled a BBC show that mentioned that NASA aimed for a 99% reliability in each shuttle launch...which meant they expected Hundreds of things to fail! Just threw it out there.

*Hand shake*