Oil Change

indio51

Threads
With my new "Freedom Z" with the Kohler 7000 Series 22 hp (KT725) owners manual says any of the new oils w/detergent even synthetic oil can be used. Has anyone tried synthetic such as Royal Purple? What are your thoughts on this?

tigercat

Threads
Oils are a wild subject sometimes!

I don't use synthetic oils because I believe I change my oils and filter often enough (once a year or every 30 - 40 hrs). You see, even basic oil has additives that make the oil protect your engine. So there is to a lesser degree synthetic oil in basic oil. Also, I never scrapped an engine because of an oil related issue.

Now that I said that I will be chased down and beaten up....

But if you like to run synthetic oils in your machine it won't hurt a thing. It may give your engine longer life if you run them harder and longer than I do. If you run synthetic then you can get longer run times between oil change intervals (change you oil every 80 hrs or so).

So if you mow more than I because of where you live, then go synthetic just to extend your oil change intervals. Otherwise, I feel it's not worth the extra money. IMHO.

Lrobby99

Threads
There may be some people who like purple oil, but I am not one. The thing about normal oil is you can easily see when if its dirty. As for synthetic vs Dino, the choice and expense is all yours. Just get the correct viscosity and away you go.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
What are the recommendations in the Kohler 7000 series operators manual??
Kohler operators manuals are available on line.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oil subject will nevery die. Early on in this foum I argued that non synthetic will cool just as well and met strong resistance. I still believe that , but the coupons for oil at 59 cents /qt disappeared so now I just put 5W-30 synthetic in my Intek out of ease of access (use it in my Nissan). It uses a little but otherwise happy. I always check level before starting and , of course, monitor the oil pressure gauge (50 psi startup, 35-40 hot run) and oil temp gauge. It has been documented that thin oil cools better. (OK I am now running from the mob sure to chase me):smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oil subject will nevery die. Early on in this foum I argued that non synthetic will cool just as well and met strong resistance. I still believe that , but the coupons for oil at 59 cents /qt disappeared so now I just put 5W-30 synthetic in my Intek out of ease of access (use it in my Nissan). It uses a little but otherwise happy. I always check level before starting and , of course, monitor the oil pressure gauge (50 psi startup, 35-40 hot run) and oil temp gauge. It has been documented that thin oil cools better. (OK I am now running from the mob sure to chase me):smile:

You wont get resistance from me, I agree. I use Mobil Super 5000 10w30 and have for years and never had any oil related issues and I've run it in Kohlers, Kawasaki and Honda Engines. Just change every 50 hours with filter and you wont have any problems.

tigercat

Threads
You wont get resistance from me, I agree. I use Mobil Super 5000 10w30 and have for years and never had any oil related issues and I've run it in Kohlers, Kawasaki and Honda Engines. Just change every 50 hours with filter and you wont have any problems.

That's one thing I always do is change the oil filter at every oil change. I just can't see leaving some dirty oil behind. In real word it may not matter, but it's how I feel about it.

Threads
I use Shell Rotella T 10w30 heavy duty conventional motor oil in my air cooled engines and a Wix 57035 filter fits them all.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you do decide to use full syn, I would suggest keeping it on dino-oil for the first 50 hours, so everything can seat & break in properly. Then do your thing.

ferrisbuehler16

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scag Freedom Z with B&S engine....for the life of me I cannot find what the engine oil capacity is and the type. Any help? and oil filter size?