john deere 68 coil wiring

moody34

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. Just acquired a 68 and will not start. It's a pull start. There is no spark, fuel is being fed. Ignition coil or the neutral safety is the culprit. I'm gonna change both just to cover bases. jd68 ignition coil wiring.jpgjohn deere 68 ignition coil wiring 1.jpg
Question is, what is the second wire coming from underneath the coil then disappearing under the flywheel. One of the wires connects to one of the mounting bolts with an eyelet, the other one does the disappearing act. How would i go about swapping coils? I can cut and put a butt connector if necessary but don't want to do that. Please help.... thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The model 68 JD came with a 8 HP Briggs engine. The original ignition came with points and condenser which are located under the flywheel. I have found most of them have been converted over to the pointless system. You will have to remove the flywheel and replace the points and condenser which I have found its getting hard to find anymore.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your engine has points. you can try replacing the points and condensor, but I have found that most still don't operate even after changing those, and still have to convert to the pointless ignition module.

Rust takes a toll on the module laminates causing failure.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up the engine numbers and type.

moody34

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the responses guys. image.jpgimage.jpg.
Here's a couple more pictures with the serial number involved. In the owners manual it doesn't get real specific it just says briggs and Stratton 8 hp. What is involved in the pointless conversion iLENGINE? Thanks

image.jpgimage.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the responses guys. View attachment 25844View attachment 25843.
Here's a couple more pictures with the serial number involved. In the owners manual it doesn't get real specific it just says briggs and Stratton 8 hp. What is involved in the pointless conversion iLENGINE? Thanks

View attachment 25845View attachment 25846

Buy the ignition module.
Remove the wire from the coil that goes to the points and the wire that goes to the ignition cut out.
Join both of these wires together then connect to the module.
The hardest part is deciding where to mount the module.
It must have a good earth and get some breeze or it will overheat.
The usual spot is one of the coil mounting bolts,

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The single wire coming from under the flywheel would be part of the stator assembly (alternator d.c)

Attachments

• briggs.png
    briggs.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 16

moody34

Forum Newbie
Threads
Buy the ignition module.
Remove the wire from the coil that goes to the points and the wire that goes to the ignition cut out.
Join both of these wires together then connect to the module.
The hardest part is deciding where to mount the module.
It must have a good earth and get some breeze or it will overheat.
The usual spot is one of the coil mounting bolts,

Could you post up the part number for the ignition module I would need? Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That model JD 68 the engine is enclosed and you will find the module will ten to overheat on warmer days. Just buy a new set of points and condenser. It will be cheaper, easier, and the mower will start better on the warm days with a hot engine. Its a old mower that doesn't turn very sharp and it is hard to find parts for anymore so how much do you want to spend it. Most of the model 68's have just a pull rope starter.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Reynoldston is giving you good advice.