reel mowers(cylinder mowers) and grass height question

LandN

Threads
  • / reel mowers(cylinder mowers) and grass height question
In doing quick reading in the past ,it's been noted that cutting the grass length between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2(or so) inches would be best for the grass blade roots. (they would also be longer and stronger) and less likely to be prone to desease, and retain moisture better. So now using the reel mowers that top out at about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches,how then can the grass blade roots grow longer and stronger and retain moisture when the sun would now 'get through' the short grass.....years and years ago before rotory mowers, thats about all there was, was reel mowers that cut at a real low grass height and the yards were pretty decent then weren't they? so whats the real answer on grass height, 1-1/2" with a reel mower or 3"(or so) with a rotary mower on the same yard/grass?.....could it be that the shear like cut of the reel mower vs. the rip cut of the rotary blade that the grass blade would 'heel' faster therefore retain the moisture in the grass leaf blade?...idk here i'm guessing.

mystreba

Threads
I don't know, I'm not so sure lawns were as lush in the old days. When I think back it sure SEEMED lush. And I certainly remember my dad working on the lawn all the time (think he had a reel mower, and then "upgraded" to a push mower). But I just dug up an old photo of my childhood home and the lawn looks terrible!

Oddball

Threads
I don't know what reel mowers and lawns were like in the days before gasoline rotatry mowers. I think reel mowers are more of a specialty item now, mosty used for warm season grasses that are supposed to be mowed low. I did a quick search though and found several reel mowers with max height settings in the 2 3/4" to 4" range, so there are some out there that will work for taller grasses like fescues.

LandN

Threads
reasons for the inquiry were .......i thought i might bring out my old reel mower that cuts at a low height instead of buying a new one that cuts higher,and start using it instead of the gasser........and then the issue of the grass health at that low height. i kept my 14" reel and took back my 20" reel(there is a difference in a 6" extra width for pushing).

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Different grasses today...Reel mowers are the best for short clipped grass, no good at all on longer grass...
Rotary mowers with very sharp blades will cit well, when dull their blade will tend to rip the grass off rather than cut... :smile:KennyV