Engine Snapper No Spark

kmakowski

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper riding mower model 281022BE (electric start) vintage 2002. There is no spark despite a new plug, fully charged battery and seat interlock "open". It has fresh gas and gas is noticable at the plug. The engine cranks with full cranking speed. The brake/clutch pedal is fully depressed and the blade swtch is in the off position. Still...no spark. What's next befoer I put this whole thing in the dumpster?

Ken

Bill Tynes

Threads
Ken,
This is weird. I just bought a '92 snapper for parts (need the frame with a good tranny for my 13.5 BS) and it came with a new looking (4 yr. old) 17hp Briggs engine. I'd love to keep the engine and the old man that sold it to me said it ran great but the clutch cable broke and it wouldn't start so he just put it up and bought another one. I've got the clutch cable ordered but it still won't start. I've pulled the cable as far as it will go and clamped it with vice grips to simulate the brake being set so I can try to get it started since it will be a few days before my cable comes in but to no avail. I don't know how to check the seat and blade sensors to see if there's a problem with either of those. I guess it could also be the coil. Don't know what to do next. Just strange that I have no spark and you have no spark on same year Snapper.
Billt23

Last edited:

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check and make sure the coil is not grounded by 1 of the safety switches. Depending on model there could be 3 or 4 switches that have to be open to unground the coil. Good luck.

Bill Tynes

Threads
It's a M281021BE that has been upgraded to a 17hp Briggs. Is this a '92 model? I'm not sure how to check the safety switches.
Thanks.
Billt23

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Easiest way is with a multimeter, can pick 1 up fairly cheap a just about any store. Set to ohms on meter and measure the resistance across switch, should not read any resistance in order for coil to not be shorted.

kmakowski

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been going through this same issue with my 2002 Snapper. Yes, there are many safety switches depending on the exact model. Before considering engine/coil related issues, the easiest way to check for spark is to disconnect the safety switch gounding wire from the engine carburator throttle mounting plate. When you do this, all of the safety switches are removed from the starting circuit. You can find this "plate" and the safety switch/terminal mounting post very easily. It is located on the same plate that the throttle cable is located. Just disconnect the attached wires, they all come from the various safety switches. Try to start. If there is still no spark then it may be something more serious within the engine. I have done this with success on my unit...I now have spark, but Ican't get the engine started. I think it's totally flooded from all the starting I tried to do. How do you "unflood" this engine and get it started?

Ken

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the gas tank has a shut off valve - turn it off, take the plug out, either crank until no gas in cylinder or use compressed air to blow out the cylinder, put the plug back in, and try it.

If your gas tank does not have a shut off valve - you can clamp the gas hose with vice grips (just don't get it so tight you cut the hose).

Bill Tynes

Threads
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

I have been going through this same issue with my 2002 Snapper. Yes, there are many safety switches depending on the exact model. Before considering engine/coil related issues, the easiest way to check for spark is to disconnect the safety switch gounding wire from the engine carburator throttle mounting plate. When you do this, all of the safety switches are removed from the starting circuit. You can find this "plate" and the safety switch/terminal mounting post very easily. It is located on the same plate that the throttle cable is located. Just disconnect the attached wires, they all come from the various safety switches. Try to start. If there is still no spark then it may be something more serious within the engine. I have done this with success on my unit...I now have spark, but Ican't get the engine started. I think it's totally flooded from all the starting I tried to do. How do you "unflood" this engine and get it started?

Ken

Bill Tynes

Threads
Ken,
Went out the first thing this morning and decided to try the easiest thing first. Before yanking the top off and sanding down the coil and flywheel I found the wires you referred to. There were 3 of them and I didn't know if one or all were bad. I decided to take off one at a time and see what happened. After taking the first one off it fired right up!!! I'm not sure which one I deactivated but it sure runs great now. I'm still waiting for the clutch cable to come in so I can't mow yet but I'll be ready when it does. Thanks again for everyone's help and especially yours, Ken.
Billt23

Last edited: