Honda GCV160 throttle linkage adjustment

packardv8

Threads
Our Honda GCV160 throttle and governor linkage has somehow gotten FUBAR. The choke won't close and the governor hunts.

I'm a fair shadetree mechanic but I can't see why the choke isn't closing. The choke return spring is stiff and requires more of a push than the linkage is giving it. When the choke is closed by hand, it's a first-pull start.

Anyone have handy the link to the Shop Manual which gives the step-by-step carb linkage and governor adjusment procedure?

jack vines

BTW - if I ever meet the numbnuts design engineer who decided to use the same two long bolts to hold the air filter base, carburetor, linkage and heat shields together, he'll die where I find him. My Cub Cadet 2135 rider is the same; with the air filter base in place, all the carb linkage and adjustments are hidden. Remove the two bolts and fourteen pieces go flying or out of alignment.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Our Honda GCV160 throttle and governor linkage has somehow gotten FUBAR. The choke won't close and the governor hunts.

I'm a fair shadetree mechanic but I can't see why the choke isn't closing. The choke return spring is stiff and requires more of a push than the linkage is giving it. When the choke is closed by hand, it's a first-pull start.

Anyone have handy the link to the Shop Manual which gives the step-by-step carb linkage and governor adjusment procedure?

jack vines

BTW - if I ever meet the numbnuts design engineer who decided to use the same two long bolts to hold the air filter base, carburetor, linkage and heat shields together, he'll die where I find him. My Cub Cadet 2135 rider is the same; with the air filter base in place, all the carb linkage and adjustments are hidden. Remove the two bolts and fourteen pieces go flying or out of alignment.

Poke a couple of lengths of rod in each hole after you pull each bolt out.
Eventually I made a pair of studs to go in there as in season I do 50 or so of these buggers a week hanging off fire pumps.
And if you think that is frustrating, the pumps go in an OH&S approved housing that has the the unit evenly balanced between the handles which is fine, except thr right side bar passes 1/2 from the carb so I have to take both bolts out slip the filter off sideways then try and roll the carb out.
Shinny bums don't you just love them.

packardv8

Threads
Sure would appreciate a link to a Honda Shop Manual section on carburetor linkage adjustment. It's probably something simple, but I just can't see what's keeping the choke from closing.

jack vines

packardv8

Threads
Thanks for the link. It is helpful on adjusting the governor.

However, there' no mention of how to get the choke to close. I've tried every combination of linkage and cable and the arm just doesn't close the choke.

I've learned to reach under and flip the choke closed manually and it's a one-pull start. Just would be nice to have the throttle lever do everything correctly.

jack vines

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm assuming you have a manual choke, yes? Not the Autochoke versions?

For the manual choke, it is totally possible to get the choke rod fitted backwards and/or into the wrong hole on the choke valve (arm).

Triple-check both the choke rod is not backwards and/or the tip is in the wrong hole on the choke valve (arm):

choke_zpsrdjxvbq6.jpg