Comparison I have a Honda HRB215HXA, is it worth getting a new HRX217HXA or HRC216HXA?

vettespeed

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I have a Honda HRB215HXA, is it worth getting a new HRX217HXA or HRC216HXA?
I have a Honda HRB215HXA mower that was the top of the line residential unit with Hydrostatic and blade clutch when I purchased it 13 years ago. It still works fine but I have always wanted more power. I have a large lawn much of which is on a hill or in difficult areas. Also living in the Pacific NW means that the grass is never dry, even in the summer most of the time. Between the moisture and often waiting too long to mow I have always wished this mower had more horsepower. I was looking at the new HRX217HXA mowers and notice they are rated at 6.5 HP, as mine is/was rated at 5.0 HP. The thing that baffles me is that mine has a GXV140 engine which from everything I致e read appears to be a commercial grade engine. The new mower now has a GCV190 engine, which I believe is more of a residential grade engine. Would this mower be much of an advantage over the mower I currently have when it comes to blasting through tall wet grass? What are the differences between the engine I have being a commercial unit and the new mower engine being a residential unit? Is this a lesser quality engine regardless of overall power that will not last as long? That being said I was also eyeballing the HRC216 commercial mower, strangely enough if I recall correctly it is only rated at 5.5 HP. Is this a deceiving rating? Why would the commercial mower at $1249 have less HP than the $699 residential mower. What are the differences and advantages to the commercial mower and related engine in comparison to the residential mower/engine? Thanks, Mike.

vettespeed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there anybody out there?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello & Welcome to LMF...
You know there is someone out there ... you have had over 130 views:biggrin:....

Your 'problem' really does not seem to be a problem... in that your mower is working, has been working for many years, but you want more HP...

If the price in upgrading is worth the difference you think you will occasionally need.. get the larger (hp) version...
But I think you should have already seen that a commercial grade is going to be longer lived than a lesser mower...
HP can be measured at various RPM's the speed that you get the most Hp is usually not at the speed you get the most torque, torque rpm is where you can expect the most work...
Your mower, 'properly sized should go through your grass easily at regular cutting height... When your cutting taller wetter grass at the same speed you may have to take a "less than full width" bite out of your lawn... When you mow less frequently you have to go slower, and take more time to cover the same area...
5HP to 6.5HP is over 20% more hp so you could go faster... if it lasts as long is a ???
I'd just slow down and enjoy the mow with the old reliable mower... but if you get the larger engine, be sure to post back with how much faster you can mow. :smile:KennyV

daddy3

Threads
i have a 215 and am very happy with it and the other ones are not worth the money unless you are using them for commerical use is another 1 to 1.5 hp worth the money dont get it wrong i love the hondas and i have heard alot of the 216s have trans problems

daddy3

Threads
commerical has a blade engage lever so the mower can run across the yard with out cutting the grass

Threads
I love my Honda HRX217HYA, and the 190cc engine is super powerful!!