exmark hydraulic failure

fallin18

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have owned two exmark lazer 60 mowers for the past 8 years and the only problems I have had is the hydro pums keep failing due to the bearing cage from the chinese parts that the hydraulc pumps are made from.I am on my third one now and the second one hailed out within 5 months wich exmark coverd but in the mean time my whole hydraulic system is being contaminated with metal particles from a seven dollar chinese bearing.with 3 failed thrust bearings at 420.00 a pop for pumps has any one else experianced this? I have contacted exmark but have not heard back in the last 4 attempts.fluid and filter change every season am I missing something?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

benski

Threads
I'd head off to a good bearing supply house and have them match up what you need in a domestic or Japanese or European manufacturer..as you have seen, a lot of the Chinese bearing technology is, well, unbearable.:ashamed::wink:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Who made the pump??
and probably just as important, Who spec That pump for the job...?

The idea that there was a failure because of a part failure, has very little to do with who made the part OR where it was made...
Pumps, like many components, have an expected life cycle in any particular application... If a manufacturer specifies an inadequate part, (light duty pump)... Who's to blame... Not the machinist that made the bearing.

The tolerance in bearings is a part of it's performance life & a part of it's cost. If the pump failed because it was a component failure... that's possible, But if it repeated the failure, then it's likely the pump is not capable of Handel the designed job and the upgrade in bearings would have just had another part in the pump fail... In that case the only real fix will be an upgrade in pumps... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just looked it up... Hydro-gear BDP-10a, Hydro-gear usually has good pumps...
But I see there is a Parker 310A that replaces it... Don't know if it's a lot better pump or not...

On all my filters I strap ceramic magnets around the outside... that will take care of any ferrous metal fowling that may escape the filter... :smile:KennyV