hydro oil

kraky

Threads
Fwiw... my dealer uses a partial synthetic 20/50 Kawasaki oil in the hydros. He tried to talk me into using the same brand but in 10/40 for the engine.... he said it has additives that aren't in car oils whether or not that's true I don't know but I can't believe it makes that big of a difference. I just did my 5-hour engine oil change and put in Mobil 10/40 5000 dyno oil.... may switch to the synthetics after 40 or 50 hours.
Kinda interesting that Hustler want you to change Hydro oil at 200 hours in the manual but hydro-gear says 400 is fine.

577jersey

Threads
Fwiw... my dealer uses a partial synthetic 20/50 Kawasaki oil in the hydros. He tried to talk me into using the same brand but in 10/40 for the engine.... he said it has additives that aren't in car oils whether or not that's true I don't know but I can't believe it makes that big of a difference. I just did my 5-hour engine oil change and put in Mobil 10/40 5000 dyno oil.... may switch to the synthetics after 40 or 50 hours.
Kinda interesting that Hustler want you to change Hydro oil at 200 hours in the manual but hydro-gear says 400 is fine.
I wont use those name brand propaganda snake oils like Kawasaki,Echo,Stihl,ect...those oils are blended at the same plants the other oils are.
You are just draining your wallet using them...if you do the research,you can find out where they are made.Shell Rotella has one of the best additive packages around for small engines,,its readily available and wont kill your wallet.

I have been interested in Royal Purple lately,,i saw a few videos on how it was better than Amsoil..still doing my research,,until then its going to be the tried and proven Shell Rotella..been using it for 30 years and never had an engine blow up,,use it in my street bikes also...the additive package is far superior to any Honda,Kawasaki,or Suzuki snake oil,,from my experience.

We had a cat 500 engine with over 1.5 million miles on it that was torn down to do cylinder sleeves,,the inside of the motor looked brand new,,no wear at all!!!
We used Rotella dino 15/40 from day one.

kraky

Threads
Isn't Rotella a diesel service oriented oil? What makes you think it has additives for small engines? Not saying it isn't possible but I'm curious. As far as Kawasaki oil draining my wallet it's $5 a court at my dealer which its pretty much in line with synthetic oils although it is a partial synthetic oil. What's I have no fears that a partial synthetic oil will hold up its qualities beyond the time where it becomes infected with debris and should be changed at any how.

577jersey

Threads
Isn't Rotella a diesel service oriented oil? What makes you think it has additives for small engines? Not saying it isn't possible but I'm curious. As far as Kawasaki oil draining my wallet it's $5 a court at my dealer which its pretty much in line with synthetic oils although it is a partial synthetic oil. What's I have no fears that a partial synthetic oil will hold up its qualities beyond the time where it becomes infected with debris and should be changed at any how.
Yeah,its a diesel rated oil,,you cant go wrong with the added ZDDP especially in small air cooled engines..there is plenty of info out there on the net about how Rotella dino and synthetic is great for our application,,just google it.

But as always ,,there will be controversy over anything like this so you do your research for yourself and make up your own mind...for me its Rotella and always has been.
Just dont run it in anything with a cat converter or the high ZDDP content could cause premature issues with that,,i never ran it in my gas car or truck...its also highly sought after by motorcycle enthusiasts,,great package for wet clutches...my bro has a Yamaha Vmax and it had noisy valves/lifters..he did a change with 15/40 rotella and the engine has been quiet ever since.15/40 IMO is far superior to ANY 30 weight energy conserving oil.

Most if not all engines running the Shell T-6 synthetic run alot cooler as well.

Thats my two cents...

Tom

kraky

Threads
Well... if one is to believe in and appreciate the API service designations I found this out by doing my research. As far as gas ratings go a lot of oils only meet SM designations which expired in 2010. Rotella T6 full synthetic is an SM designation as far as gas engines go. my fancy Kawasaki partial synthetic oil only makes SL ratings which are even lower grade... and good old basic mobil 5000 oil makes SN rating which is the latest API designation. Possibly in some cases the oil just hasn't been tested to see if it meets the latest designations... I would imagine it's pretty expensive to have your oil tested. Thinking that Rotella T6 is the latest and greatest shell product I would think they would be up to speed on the highest possible ratings .
They are probably all great oils and like I said earlier they are all going to hold up just fine and well past the point of contamination by debris where should be changed any how.... in the meantime I'm kind of satisfied to find my $13 per 5-quart Mobil 5000 makes the latest designations..lol.
Oil can be pretty much like a Chevy versus Ford versus Chrysler argument!?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where is the thumbs up button on this forum??

When you hit the reply button they are on the right side.
If using a smart phone the position may be different.
There is also another one in the top line of the tool bar.
hit the smilley and it brings up a selection window.

577jersey

Threads
Well... if one is to believe in and appreciate the API service designations I found this out by doing my research. As far as gas ratings go a lot of oils only meet SM designations which expired in 2010. Rotella T6 full synthetic is an SM designation as far as gas engines go. my fancy Kawasaki partial synthetic oil only makes SL ratings which are even lower grade... and good old basic mobil 5000 oil makes SN rating which is the latest API designation. Possibly in some cases the oil just hasn't been tested to see if it meets the latest designations... I would imagine it's pretty expensive to have your oil tested. Thinking that Rotella T6 is the latest and greatest shell product I would think they would be up to speed on the highest possible ratings .
They are probably all great oils and like I said earlier they are all going to hold up just fine and well past the point of contamination by debris where should be changed any how.... in the meantime I'm kind of satisfied to find my $13 per 5-quart Mobil 5000 makes the latest designations..lol.
Oil can be pretty much like a Chevy versus Ford versus Chrysler argument!?
I hear that,I stopped debating oil back in the early internet days until recently,,Ill have to look into Mobile 5000,with that rating it must have a great additive package as well,,I was eyeing up the Mobile 1-15/50 for my first hydro service also,,its a toss up now between that,Royal Purple,or Rotella T-6.
T-6 is pretty thin though....

577jersey

Threads
When you hit the reply button they are on the right side.
If using a smart phone the position may be different.
There is also another one in the top line of the tool bar.
hit the smilley and it brings up a selection window.
Thanks Bert!!