Is there a best tire pressure

Dave1954

Threads
Trying to minimize turf damage with my Husqvarna MTZ 52 doing slow turns and y turns but still get a bald spot now and then, manual says 15lbs in rear tires, would less be better to help with this?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Trying to minimize turf damage with my Husqvarna MTZ 52 doing slow turns and y turns but still get a bald spot now and then, manual says 15lbs in rear tires, would less be better to help with this?

I really don't see where tire air pressure would made a different.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

Many times a zero turn will break traction turning sharp and leave spots on a lawn. Many times I run back over those spots with the deck and it helps hide them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Square shoulders tend to tear the lawn.
So have a good look at the corner profile of your tyres.

Soft tres tend to grab better and tear more
Hard tyres tend to leave grooves.
Oher than that it is up to the driver.
Coming to a full stop the doing F + R turn slowly will do the lest damage as there is the least tendency for a wheel to slip
Otherwise you need to get the different wheel speeds exactly right or one wheel will slip

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

Gotta slow down more. Get to the end of your pass stop, slowly iniate turn one tire going forward one backwards. Both tires need to be moving and fluid with your turn. Tires spinning in wrong direction or not at all create bald spots. More air in the tire also helps by minimizing surface area and lessen traction. Just dont spin the tired

gundog

Threads
i would go with what your manual says. The manufacture has already done the experimentation and research for you and know what works best with their equipment. I'm running a Hustler Super Z HD and the recommended tire pressure for both front and rear tires is between 8 lbs to 12 lbs. I run 10 lbs in mine. I mow average turf, if it was rough I would go down to to 8 lbs and if really smooth up to 12 lbs.

Lawn Addict
Threads
& FWIW: changing the tire pressures also changes deck height etc.

I was running 15lbs in back, Toro book says 12 lbs, so I corrected the psi in my rear tires, I then chose to make a minimal adjustment to deck slope, to keep it where I like it at 1/8" lower in front.

PS: Big improvement in ride @ 12 psi too, front tires call for 22 psi.

Plus weight of the operator on the machine does make a difference in actual cut height as well.

bigdaddyr

Threads
How about tire pressures for hill mowing. My Raptor SD says between 12-8psi also. Would going down to 8 help with traction on mowing steep hills.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes a softer (lower psi) tire will have a bigger contact area. (as was previously posted.)

Jefferey

Threads
I just got a new SDX the rears are 12 and the fronts are 15 is that about right?