Tecumseh Flymo Dellorto question

Slugs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, newbie here. Just acquired a s/h 18" Flymo (it's actually a Crown, if you've ever heard of that--Google hasn't).
It appears that this hover has been used incorrectly, maybe for quite a while. The linkages and springs on the carb seem wrong, and the choke won't operate properly. It has been started (previous owner) by just moving the control lever forward to "Start", and pulling five times (or so) to prime it. No choke used! Eh? No primer button on carb! Eh? The mower starts (sometimes only (I've found) after a squirt into the cylinder), and then runs OK when on fullish throttle.

Regarding choke--the end of the lever shies away from the choke spindle when released. Only way to use the choke is to hold the lever forward (difficult when pulling the cord!)
Pics of what there is at
http://www.photohost.info/pfiles/1464/P1010010.JPG
http://www.photohost.info/pfiles/1465/P1010011.JPG
http://www.photohost.info/pfiles/1466/P1010012.JPG
http://www.photohost.info/pfiles/1467/P1010013.JPG
The mower as I say is designated "Crown", the label on engine cowling says "Aspera AV6(something)"...possibly AV600?
The tap on the tank says "Tecumseh"...and the markings on the carb are "Dellorto FHC 20 13". that's all I have.
So the problem is the unit cuts out gradually when moved to "minimum", and the choke won't operate without pushing and holding. What I would expect of this set up is push forward to "Start" (operating the choke), then when running adjust speed to suit.

The governor spring (marked in white for clarity) is obviously just a makeshift spring, stretched. The dimple in plate (marked "A" on photos) I would have thought would drop into the hole on the control lever WHEN ON CHOKE. Is this correct? At the moment it drops while pulling the choke OFF. In other words, the dimple DETERS operation of the choke, unless held by hand.

UPDATE-- I now have the correct governor spring on order. I can't find a copy of the manual (old mower), so can't verify the correct starting procedure. What is the procedure for starting a machine with no primer button, and a choke that needs (apparently) holding on while cordpulling?

To any who may be confused by this mess of a thread, it's OK...so am I. :ashamed:

Slugs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks BK--will investigate that channel.
Have just learned a bit--this Tecumseh has no primer because it has a choke...it's one or the other. Uhuh. Mine's a float model.

Right, I just need to clarify how the control lever operates the choke, when starting. The way the set up is, the lever only holds the choke open when being physically held--let go of the lever (to pull the cord) and the choke opens again! The choke return spring too strong for the way it is at the moment.
Will know more when the new governor spring arrives--I'll be back!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would love to have one of those ... but being as how scarce they are in the states they are very pricey, and hard to find...
I'm with you, some one has taken the linkage off and cobbled it back together but not correctly...
Here is a YouTube video with a horizontal Tecumseh, yours is a vertical so your linkage is 90 degrees off of this one... Unfortunately the choke id not a lever on this one but a rotating shaft with detentes, and donyboy goes over it quickly...
YouTube - 4-5hp Tecumseh Carburetor Throttle & Governor Linkage Configuration (with Throttle Cable)

If you had an engine model number I could find more exact info... I think the model # should start with TVM followed with xxx-xxxxx
Have to get that mower running right ... they look to be great mowers.... :smile:KennyV

Slugs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Ken--can't find a model number on the engine, apart from the torn label...probably AV600. With a Dellorto float carb. Hopefully all will become clear to me when the new spring's on.

Slugs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well the new spring's on...seems to be the right one. But the choke still won't stay on without holding (with your foot, if cordpulling), is that right? Can't imagine that the choke return spring is the wrong one, and it only seems to work the way it is, but it's just a tad too strong to allow the control lever to keep it (the choke) open by itself. Should there be a way to tighten the control lever or something? :ashamed:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
the choke still won't stay on without holding
Can't imagine that the choke return spring is the wrong one,
but it's just a tad too strong
Should there be a way to tighten the control lever or something? :ashamed:

Well since someone had changed the other spring they may have changed the choke pull off spring also...
You might try a different spring, (hardware store item), or just slightly stretch and weaken the spring that's on it:tongue:...
I would think the choke should hold full on until the engine starts... :smile:KennyV

Slugs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmmm thanks Ken--worth a try weakening it. Was a bit loath to do that as it's wrapped around the choke spindle and I don't want to get into pulling that out. Have to see what i can do from outside.
Yep--choke must be supposed to stay on by itself until the engine's ready, or it's dopey.

It's a balancing act: friction of the control lever (and its detent) versus the choke return spring tension.