Mower deck Protective coating for new deck?

Carl in CT

Threads
Hi, I just got a new (leftover 2010 but still new) Simplicity Conquest tractor with 50" deck. I have mowed once with it and it's great but I was thinking it might be good to coat the underside of the deck with a protective coating before it gets all gunked up. Obviously I'd need to scrub it down from the first mowing. I was thinking about something like that spray on truck lining.

Good idea, stupid idea?
Any thoughts, anyone tried anything like that?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I just got a new (leftover 2010 but still new) Simplicity Conquest tractor with 50" deck. I have mowed once with it and it's great but I was thinking it might be good to coat the underside of the deck with a protective coating before it gets all gunked up. Obviously I'd need to scrub it down from the first mowing. I was thinking about something like that spray on truck lining.

Good idea, stupid idea?
Any thoughts, anyone tried anything like that?

If you watch the ad on the home page, there is a film available (the ad comes up once in awhile) - but I don't know much about it, other than it's a WWII leftover - like WD40.

It's called "Fluid Film"....just saw the ad.......

LandN

Threads
fluid film is pretty widely used in/on snowblower chutes to prevent snow clogging up inside the chute.... for the last couple years on the snowsite a lot of people swear by it. i probably think there are other uses also for it.

Carl in CT

Threads
I just checked out Fluid Film's website and it might be a good product but it's more like a thin coating to prevent rust and corrosion and provide a slick, non-stick surface. That's a good thing and may be what I end up using if it gets the grass to stick to the deck less but what I am still thinking about a thicker protective coating.

My first post didn't make much sense (wrote it in a hurry), I meant to say I was thinking about that spray on coating they use for pickup truck beds or something like that. I looked at the Herculiner website and it looks like a possibility but it is anti-skid so I'm afraid grass would build up more and cause problems. It's about $25-$30 for a quart which would be all I need. I dunno, it's scary because if I do it it's permanant. Probably better off getting a small power washer and cleaning under the deck after every use. I have been using my garden hose but it lacks the power to blast the stubborn grass out. I do worry about power washing and forcing water into places it shouldn't be. Maybe I'm just paranoid from seeing too many people power wash their house and get water up behind the clapboards.

I'll keep looking around. If there are any more ideas to add, please share!

CajunCub

Threads
"Snake Oil"......:laughing:

jeff

Threads
POR (paint over rust) is a very durable and smooth finish.

steved

Threads
POR (paint over rust) is a very durable and smooth finish.

At the end of the season, this is the route I'll probably be going. I've seen POR-15 used before, the stuff is pretty tough. Its also fairly easy to mail order.

Another option is an "epoxy-prime" paint...we used Rustoleum's version of this (its a two part primer with a separate base and activator) and once sprayed and cured, you can't even scrape it off with a knife blade. Muralo makes a similar product.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
On a new deck... the paint will last through the season ...
at seasons end clean it & POR to stop and convert any rust... :smile:KennyV

Carl in CT

Threads
Sounds like I will just get some fluid film on it for now and after the season I'll see what the paint looks like and POR it then if needed and reapply more fluid film. I'll keep an eye on it every season and treat as needed. My 14 year old Toro/Wheelhorse never had any deck treatment and honestly I didn't do a great job keeping it clean and it's still solid, some rust here and there but nothing alarming. I did clean it and repaint it several years ago which I'm sure helped. So I guess I don't need to be too obsessive over the new deck, I'll just keep it clean and keep on top of the rust once a year or so. Sounds like that should be fine. Thanks everyone for your advice!