Belt keeps coming off

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you read the post about the Raptor with 3.5 hours and the belt that goes to the hydro pump broke. You may want to trade it in I'm sorry to say. Read some of the other posts on this and other forums and you will see a trend with the newer stuff that is supposed to be better then all the older machines.

Yes the old "Magic Pudding syndrome "
Does not exist.
You only get what you pay for and the further the price comes down, the cheaper the mower is made.
I call it the urban Yuppie Syndrome.
Ever year eyery body seem to expsect to get paid more for doing exactly the same amount of work they did the year before.
Yet the said same people expect the every thing they consume will get cheaper every year.

I might be really thick, but I just don't see the logic in this belief.

Oldschool1959

Threads
Yes the old "Magic Pudding syndrome "
Does not exist.
You only get what you pay for and the further the price comes down, the cheaper the mower is made.
I call it the urban Yuppie Syndrome.
Ever year eyery body seem to expsect to get paid more for doing exactly the same amount of work they did the year before.
Yet the said same people expect the every thing they consume will get cheaper every year.

I might be really thick, but I just don't see the logic in this belief.

Not sure if you are talking to me or not. But paying $4000.00 for a mower that you expect to perform better than a Troy Built isn't unexpected.

On another note the dealers service dept just called and said there were gum balls on the deck and that was the problem. WRONG. I told him he better check it again because when I took it in the deck was CLEAN! What the hell is going on at this dealer? Anyway I told him there was something terribly wrong with the deck in that it has way to much vibration once the blades are engaged. Someone there is going to earn their money on this machine, then I am going to trade it, possibly on a Gravely or Ferris.

1striper1

Threads
Not sure if you are talking to me or not. But paying $4000.00 for a mower that you expect to perform better than a Troy Built isn't unexpected.

On another note the dealers service dept just called and said there were gum balls on the deck and that was the problem. WRONG. I told him he better check it again because when I took it in the deck was CLEAN! What the hell is going on at this dealer? Anyway I told him there was something terribly wrong with the deck in that it has way to much vibration once the blades are engaged. Someone there is going to earn their money on this machine, then I am going to trade it, possibly on a Gravely or Ferris.

You have the ability ($$$)......just do it and be done with it. IMO...that dealer where you saved $250 (not giving you grief about this) is just.....um......not to be trusted and the word needs to get out about him (via Google reviews or similar).

Go to the dealer that's 20 minutes away and see what he has. What about a demo mower? Maybe he's got one where you can make a better deal on it and get more mower to boot? Can't go wrong with a Gravely or Ferris. I have to go back to your original post but didn't you say they sell Toro? Can't go wrong with any of these.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When ride ons were a novelty item & not a necessity they cost around 6 months to 3 years wages.
There was a good profit margin in them & they were built to last and carefully inspected before they left the factory.

Now they cost , in your case about 4 to 6 weeks wages, there is a very small profit margin for the factory so the quality has dropped substantially.
And that goes just about across the entire range.
About 2/3 of the "which mower" posts to this forum are looking for the cheapest mower that might be able to do what is required.
The other 1/3 want the best.
Nearly all of them want the absolute cheapest price

Not trying to be rude or insulting just stating what I see daily.

A dealer who gives you a $ 250 discount over the others is going to make up the difference some where else and it appears he is doing so through his workshop.

An old saying my father was fond of always comes to mind.

"He who buys cheap pays twice "

You have now made 5 trips to the cheapest price dealer.
1 to buy it and 4 repairs.
The cost of your time traveling to & from the dealer is by now more than the $ 250 discount you got & the mower is still not right.
You are now about to go shopping for a replacement thus will be paying twice for the same thing and spending yet more of your time.

And if you are a commercial user then there is the lost productivity resulting from the machine being in the shop so many times.

Good quality mowing service costs money to perform
Rough mowing is a lot cheaper to do
Good quality mower service also cost money to perform
Poor quality service is a lot cheaper.

Oldschool1959

Threads
Thank God I am not a commercial user. My son uses it to cut small yards of less than an acre on weekends. So the most it will cut on any given day would be up to 2 acres, but not all at once. My acreage is only 3/4's of an acre and manicured so my lawn is for the most part free of debris etc etc etc. The other yards he mows are the same. This mower has 54 hours on it and its in the shop again. Not gonna happen this next time.

When ride ons were a novelty item & not a necessity they cost around 6 months to 3 years wages.
There was a good profit margin in them & they were built to last and carefully inspected before they left the factory.

Now they cost , in your case about 4 to 6 weeks wages, there is a very small profit margin for the factory so the quality has dropped substantially.
And that goes just about across the entire range.
About 2/3 of the "which mower" posts to this forum are looking for the cheapest mower that might be able to do what is required.
The other 1/3 want the best.
Nearly all of them want the absolute cheapest price

Not trying to be rude or insulting just stating what I see daily.

A dealer who gives you a $ 250 discount over the others is going to make up the difference some where else and it appears he is doing so through his workshop.

An old saying my father was fond of always comes to mind.

"He who buys cheap pays twice "

You have now made 5 trips to the cheapest price dealer.
1 to buy it and 4 repairs.
The cost of your time traveling to & from the dealer is by now more than the $ 250 discount you got & the mower is still not right.
You are now about to go shopping for a replacement thus will be paying twice for the same thing and spending yet more of your time.

And if you are a commercial user then there is the lost productivity resulting from the machine being in the shop so many times.

Good quality mowing service costs money to perform
Rough mowing is a lot cheaper to do
Good quality mower service also cost money to perform
Poor quality service is a lot cheaper.

fan45acp

Threads
Did you read the post about the Raptor with 3.5 hours and the belt that goes to the hydro pump broke. You may want to trade it in I'm sorry to say. Read some of the other posts on this and other forums and you will see a trend with the newer stuff that is supposed to be better then all the older machines.

gfp55, As I wrote in my post: a piece of a hard wood stick got jammed in the grove on one of my hydro pulleys. That is what broke the belt. Nothing more, and nothing less. :cool:

gfp55

Threads
gfp55, As I wrote in my post: a piece of a hard wood stick got jammed in the grove on one of my hydro pulleys. That is what broke the belt. Nothing more, and nothing less. :cool:
And, what's your point?

gfp55

Threads
Whether it makes sense or not...it's HIS money to do with what he pleases! I made a BAD decision last year on my XOne and can't afford to take the hit on trade that I would. IF I could afford it I wouldn't even be posting this because the XOne would be GONE and either a Ferris or Bad Boy would be in the garage waiting to mow!

Whether it's an ATV, boat or mower internet forum, I just hate it when a guy gets derided for wanting to do "something" and the keyboard heroes blast him. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY SO STFU!

Sorry for the rant......

Good for you for saying what I would get in trouble for saying. If I tell someone the truth about a product or practice I get chastised after someone cries to the staff.

fan45acp

Threads
And, what's your point?

gfp55, I'm referring to my original post about the piece of hardwood stick jammed in a hydro pulley grove caused the belt to break. That Sir is a fact. That is what really happened. You made a comment about the mechanic or the dealer blowing smoke, about something sounding fishy. That is exactly what the point is. There was a valid reason for the belt to break. The belt on my mower broke because of a piece of stick got jammed in a pulley groove NOT because of a quality problem. And That is exactly my point.

gfp55

Threads
gfp55, I'm referring to my original post about the piece of hardwood stick jammed in a hydro pulley grove caused the belt to break. That Sir is a fact. that is was really happened. You made a comment about the mechanic or the dealer blowing smoke, about something sounding fishy. That is exactly what the point is. There was a valid reason for the belt to break. The belt on my mower broke because of a piece of stick got jammed in a pulley grove NOT because of a quality problem. And That is exactly my point.

If that was truly the case then your dealer would not have warrantied it and had Hustler pay for it. So the dealer commits fraud against Hustler because he a nice guy and he likes you. Sure Sure, You can believe that if you want. I don't !!