Ignition Pull Broke

BlueGrass

Threads
I have a fairly new mower that I was working on over the weekend because one of my kids put sand in the fuel tank. Anyway, I finally cleaned out the tank and went to start it by pulling the cord (I have a push mower that you have to pull start) and the string broke and now it's down inside. How do I repair that? Do I have to take the whole thing apart to get to the cord?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the blower shroud and you will see the parts you need to deal with... If you had stated the make of engine and HP, it would have been easy to give more thorough directions. BTW get a replacement rope, the old one will just fail again if you reuse it. KennyV

Threads
The bad news is that a lot of recoils can't be repaired they are designed just to be replaced because the parts are rivited together and there is no way to put them back together once you have them apart.:thumbdown:

RockHound

Threads
That could be a good thing for we that have very little mechanical skills! :laughing: My Dad used to fix small engines and could make them sing a tune. I on the other hand did NOT inherit his mechanical skills so the simpler the better for me.:smile:

Rip

Threads
I wish they still made the old pulls that you wrapped a pull rope around each time...

rip

BlueGrass

Threads
Thanks KennyV! I guess I'll be taking the thing apart again. My mower is a Craftsman Briggs and Stratton 6.75 torque push mower. It's not the most expensive thing on the block but I just bought it last summer and I'd hate to have to buy a new one already.

Attachments

• ventrac delivery 1.jpg
    ventrac delivery 1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 28
  • ventrac delivery 2.jpg
    ventrac delivery 2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 30
  • ventrac delivery 3.jpg
    ventrac delivery 3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 30
  • ventrac delivery 4.jpg
    ventrac delivery 4.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 35

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
B & S engines are all very similar, rather than try to describe how to re-cord and get the spring wound correctly... Here is a pretty good video, a little long but he covers about everything. The steps you will need are at the very end of his video.. KennyV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtok9MJLoQ8

rmancini

Threads
Kennyv - thanks for the youtube link. Very informative. There's also some videos on weedeater and chainsaw repairs. That guy sure seems to know his stuff!
Rich

Last edited:

monica123

Threads
Wow, am I happy I found this thread. Yesterday my husband went to start our mower and he pulled the pull cord right out of it. The video is quite informative as well, thanks for the link.

RockHound

Threads
It used to be fairly simple but the manufacturers have gotten to the point they want to sell you bigger pieces for more money. If it's riveted on, you have to buy the whole assembly, if not it can be rewound with another cord. When you get another cord, try to get something with a bit of poly in it as it will last a bit longer.