MTD Rear Tires

mdupre07

Threads
My MTD has a rear tire leak. Is it possible to put a tube in these? The tire assembly is a bit "pricey". The size on the tire is 20x8x8. If not, do I have to have new tires mounted on the rim like a car tire?

Model# 13AF693G118

Serial# 1C142B70342

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes just install a tube. I really don't know your tire installing skills so it might be a lot easier just to have it done someplace with a tire machine. Unless you know how to break the bead loose and own some tire irons.

mdupre07

Threads
I think the bead is already loose. I found some tires at Wallyworld. They were smaller. 18x8x8, I think. Could those be used if I get them in pairs?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the bead is already loose. I found some tires at Wallyworld. They were smaller. 18x8x8, I think. Could those be used if I get them in pairs?

If the beads are loose all the hard hammer work is done. Just need a couple tire irons or large screw drivers will work. A little dish soap on the beads will help make the job go better. The hard part may be to blow them up again if the tires are smaller. I would advise installing tubes just to make the job easier to air them up. Give it a try not too bad of a job.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can but the mower will now be 1" lower at the back so requiire a substantial deck adjustment,
You will also loose 1" of maximum cutting height and the mower will go 10% slower in every gear.

Pull the wheel off and dip it in some waater to find out where it is leaking from as changing the tyre will do nothing to stop a leaking valve stem deflating the tyre.
Check the condition of the rim at the bottom of the flange,
If it is not clean and smooth no tubeless tyre will be able to make a seal.
There is a lot of rye grasses around here and the rye grass seeds can make their way under the tyre and cause a leak

mdupre07

Threads
You can but the mower will now be 1" lower at the back so requiire a substantial deck adjustment,
You will also loose 1" of maximum cutting height and the mower will go 10% slower in every gear.

Pull the wheel off and dip it in some waater to find out where it is leaking from as changing the tyre will do nothing to stop a leaking valve stem deflating the tyre.
There is a lot of rye grasses around here and the rye grass seeds can make their way under the tyre and cause a leak

Will check that out. Sounds like a plan. Will report back with what I find.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

bertmobile has a very good point here. Air up the tire and find the leak. One whole lot less work and could be a lot cheaper.

jstpsgthru

Threads
Which inner tube for a CC 20x8x8? Old thread, I know. But I hope someone will see, and help. I want an inner tube for CC 20x8x8 rear tire. The tubes that I have found seem to have the straight valve stem centered on the inside of the tube. The CC wheel's (tubeless stem) is on the side of the wheel. Looks like a new tire would be about $40? I would greatly appreciate your guidance. Thank you, very much, for your help.

mhavanti

Threads
Yes, you can run the center valve stem tubes in your tubeless tires. I have four tubes in my old YardMan with no problems.