Engine Won't run right--- please help!!

frodo_baggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a Honda HRR 216 SDA walk behind mower. I cleaned the air filter, replaced the spark plug with the exact same brand and number, and went through the carburator to get it ready for the season. The carburator was quite clean already. I wiped up some of the residual dirt and grease on the outside, wiped out the float bowl, put it all back together, drained the old gas from the tank, and added new gas. It starts up fine, but it has trouble running when I open the choke. Once the choke is off the engine revvs up and down or it runs really rough. Any suggestions how to get it running smooth? Thanks

CajunCub

Threads
I see that you did do alot, but did you take the carb off and clean the main jet in the center? It is running too lean, there is a restriction in that jet...it doesn't come out, just spray cleaner in it then blow out with some compressed air. That should do it....if it still does it, you may have to adjust the valve lash.
Good Luck!:thumbsup:

frodo_baggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. There is an adjustment screw in the main jet that is removable, but I see what you mean about the inards being non-removable. I will spray some carb cleaner in there and blow it out as you suggest. When you talk about adjusting the valve lash, are you referring getting a feeler gage and checking the valve clearance? I'm not familiar with the term valve lash.

CajunCub

Threads
Yes, that's is it...... 010 intake side-012 exhaust side takes 2 wrenches to do it 8mm & 14mm. :thumbsup:

frodo_baggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that's is it...... 010 intake side-012 exhaust side takes 2 wrenches to do it 8mm & 14mm. :thumbsup:

Thanks:thumbsup: I was going to look up the valve clearance measurements, but you just saved me a bunch of time. I should probably check it anyway since my mower is 7 years old and this is the first time I've had to do any major maintenance to it.:smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nothing to do with your engine, but How is BILBO ? :biggrin:

CajunCub

Threads
Hondas use about the same settings for the lash.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh, still writing his memoirs I suppose:laughing:

Nothing left to do, now that Sauron is defeated, but maintain your hobbit-hole? I'd guess a lawnmower would be great for roof maintainence.......:thumbsup: