Almost new Toro problem

pistol4423

Forum Newbie
Threads
So i have one of the newer Toro self propelled lawn mowers. I can get the model number if needed. Here is the problem. The first time I mowed this season it started right up and it ran fine. Had no problems. A couple of days later I went to run it again and here is what happens...

It will start fine and sounds fine when on, when I go to engage the self propelled to move forward it shuts off. If I pull back a bit and push the mower myself it runs fine but its nearly impossible with how the self propelled thing works by just pushing on the handle.

A couple of notes...I checked the oil level and it is low, not to the point where the "REFILL" is showing but pretty low. Secondly - I put gas in it that was sitting in my shed all winter...I feel like it wouldn't start at all if that was the problem though.

Please help - I don't want to pay for someone to come pick it up and have it for 2 weeks and pay all that money if its a simple fix. I just bought it last fall and used it maybe 10 times. There can't be that much wrong with it.

Thanks!

Nick

GoldEagle2011

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nick,

The gas left in your engine may indeed be part of the issue. Start Your Engines! is a product that will take care of that issue as well as others. Namely, it will clean your carburetor, fuel injectors and intake valves, which should definitely help. It costs about $20, so I would try it before you take it into a shop or replace any parts since those options get pricey fast. It'll also keep rust and corrosion out of your mower, which is always a plus.

Hope this helps!

Woody71

Threads
Get some SeaFoam

Not sure if the carb would gum up from putting old gas in a brand new mower, but I suppose its possible.

I recommend SeaFoam as a gas treatment. It cleans gummed up carbs and keeps the system clean. I add 2 OZ of SeaFoam to each gallon of gas. (When I fill up my 2 Gal mower gas can, I add 4 OZ of SeaFoam. It's available at major auto parts stores and is appx. $10 for a 16 OZ can (treats 8 gallons of gas)

On top of it's cleaning capabilities, its a fuel stabilizer as well. They claim it will keep gas fresh for up to 2 years. As long as it gets me to the end of the season, that's good by me because I start with fresh fuel at the start of each season. Another popular product is STAB-IL.

I use Shell gasoline because I believe it to be better than some of the others in my area.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
So we are talking about a quart of gas? Tilt the mower over and get the gas out, if not all then most and replace it with fresh, 87 octane gas.
Was the the container you poured it from plastic or metal? How much gas was in ths container?
What I am getting at is the container and the gas may have been contaminated. I think it's fuel problem. You may have remove the tank to get any contaminents out of it. No big deal.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello again Nick...
See this is why a double post can get confusing... I thought I had responded to this before, and started to do it again...
Anyway, dump the old gas, like RobertBrown said...
Check the drive system like CajunCub suggested...
Put on fresh fuel...
& as to the oil, ...change it, You should have done that at the start of this season anyway... and then keep it full... (low oil will not keep it from starting).. but it also does Not help lube or cool the engine...
Add any magic elixir, if it makes you feel good, and you think regular gasoline needs to cost just a little bit more...
:smile:KennyV

Threads
If indeed it is an almost new mower, I would take it to the Toro dealer and ask them to fix it. Should be under warranty as far as the transmission goes. As for the gas - gas will only stay fresh a few weeks then begins to go bad due to the ethanol. After a year it will turn into a varnish like substance in carbs. Always use fresh gas, so buy only what you need for a few weeks, then get some more. Most Toro dealers will not warranty fix a carb that has been contaminated by bad gas though.

Pete.S

Threads
I took my almost new Toro in for a warranty repair this weekend. The Toro dealer could not help me because it was not a mower problem but it was an engine problem. He claimed that he would not be paid by Briggs for repairing my engine because even though he is a Toro dealer he is not a Briggs dealer. You gotta check with the dealer to see if the shop can fix both the mower and the engine under the warranty.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sound to me like the dealer is giving you a little song and dance. Did he play you music as he told you this :laughing: Never heard of such a thing but then again I don't buy new mowers and fix my own. It just seems to me it is a unit engine and mower.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I took my almost new Toro in for a warranty repair this weekend. The Toro dealer could not help me because it was not a mower problem but it was an engine problem. He claimed that he would not be paid by Briggs for repairing my engine because even though he is a Toro dealer he is not a Briggs dealer. You gotta check with the dealer to see if the shop can fix both the mower and the engine under the warranty.

That's nonsense... I'm sure Toro didn't manufacture the wheels on that mower... but you should expect the mower dealer to warrant them along with the rest of the mower... Including the engine...
How did you find such a crackerjack helpful dealer... :smile:KennyV

Pete.S

Threads
He wasn't the only dealer to tell me this tale of woe. I believe that it's partly because I bought the mower in HD rather than through him. The common thread in both stories is that in order to become a Briggs dealer they have to stock at least 3 new Briggs engines and a specified amount in parts. Engine repair warranty claims on Briggs Stratton engines apparently have to be settled by Briggs rather than Toro and Briggs only reimburses authorized repair dealers. I brought it back to HD and they sent it out to their repair service for a $20 fee. They will let me know if the repairs needed are covered under warranty. I ain't holding out much hope.