Almost new Toro problem

pistol4423

Forum Newbie
Threads
So i have one of the newer Toro self propelled lawn mowers. I can get the model number if needed. Here is the problem. The first time I mowed this season it started right up and it ran fine. Had no problems. A couple of days later I went to run it again and here is what happens...

It will start fine and sounds fine when on, when I go to engage the self propelled to move forward it shuts off. If I pull back a bit and push the mower myself it runs fine but its nearly impossible with how the self propelled thing works by just pushing on the handle.

A couple of notes...I checked the oil level and it is low, not to the point where the "REFILL" is showing but pretty low. Secondly - I put gas in it that was sitting in my shed all winter...I feel like it wouldn't start at all if that was the problem though.

Please help - I don't want to pay for someone to come pick it up and have it for 2 weeks and pay all that money if its a simple fix. I just bought it last fall and used it maybe 10 times. There can't be that much wrong with it.

Thanks!

Nick

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
So i have one of the newer Toro self propelled lawn mowers. I can get the model number if needed. Here is the problem. The first time I mowed this season it started right up and it ran fine. Had no problems. A couple of days later I went to run it again and here is what happens...

It will start fine and sounds fine when on, when I go to engage the self propelled to move forward it shuts off. If I pull back a bit and push the mower myself it runs fine but its nearly impossible with how the self propelled thing works by just pushing on the handle.

A couple of notes...I checked the oil level and it is low, not to the point where the "REFILL" is showing but pretty low. Secondly - I put gas in it that was sitting in my shed all winter...I feel like it wouldn't start at all if that was the problem though.

Please help - I don't want to pay for someone to come pick it up and have it for 2 weeks and pay all that money if its a simple fix. I just bought it last fall and used it maybe 10 times. There can't be that much wrong with it.

Thanks!

Nick
Hello Nick...
Welcome to the forum...
There is NO need to double post, it just makes things hard to keep track of...

Put fresh fuel in it... if you have not plugged anything up it should have a bit more power than with the stale gas...
I'm hoping you are not referring to the engine oil when you said.."not to the point where the "REFILL" is showing but pretty low. " if it is the engine oil thats low drain it out and put in fresh oil and keep it to the full mark & change it regularly... :smile:KennyV

CajunCub

Threads
Sometimes the engine is not the trouble....Sounds like the self-propell unit may be having the problem, and when you engauge it....it chokes down the engine. take the belt off and retry it. Good luck!

Last edited:

jeff

Threads
Don't work on this yourself! Your mower is still under warrantee. Take it to an authorized dealer, they will fix or replace the mower at no cost to you. My experience with Toro is that they are very good at honoring their equipment and customers. If you do your own repair, you will void your warrantee.