Kohler 15hp starting problem - help please

BigEd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to get my elderly neighbor's 10 year old John Deere LT225 with a Kohler 15hp verticle shaft mower running. They had it running the other day for the 1st time since last November. It took ether and a lot of cranking to get it going. They ran it for 20 minutes. One week later it wouldn't start. Their son in law changed the oil, plug, and fuel pump (someone told him that it probably was bad). That's when I was asked to help out. I tried cleaning the coil and pick ups, swapping spark plugs, purged the fuel line (they just filled it with fresh gas), and I took the cover off and removed and large mouse's nest from the cylinder head. I took off the rocker arm cover and cranked it, and the valves appeared to be operating normal. When cranking it, it seems like it wants to start, but doesn't. When I open and close the choke, it sounds like the ignition goes out of time and sometimes blows a couple of flames through the carb. It does sound like a typical engine when you give it a shot of ether, where it will normally light for a second or two. when it makes the sounds like its going out of time, its popping through the exhaust too. My compression gauge showed 30psi (probably because of the ACR?) and I am out of guesses. They don't have the money to send it to a shop, and I feel badly that I can't help them out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thomas sprowl

Forum Newbie
Threads
solenoid on carb not working .turn key off on listen for needle valve shutoff opening .i think

isacguy

Threads
30 psi sucks for a compression test! It should be at least 90 psi or so for the engine to really run, have you tried a teaspoon of gas instead of ether? I have seen many perfectly good engines fight to run and start on ether all weekend long but never stay running. A teaspoon of gas, and presto, engine finally starts to siphon fuel on its own.

CajunCub

Threads
You have got an intake valve problem. Since you say that the valves are working up and down, but you got backfiring through the carb.... I'd say the valve lash maybe too tight OR the valve is burnt.:cool:

BigEd

Forum Newbie
Threads
The fuel valve is working, I tried gas directly in the carb, and now I've started to dig into the engine. I removed the cylinder head and everything looks good. I was expecting to see a burned valve, but they both look good. The piston and cylinder look really good too. I am trying to get the engine off to put it on the bench, but I can't get the PTO off of the end of the shaft. The first pulley and half of the PTO came off, but the top half barely moves. Any suggestions how to remove it? Any suggestions about the engine problem?

BigEd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the smoking gun I was looking for: the head gasket was blown out at the 6:00 position!

Jay Dub

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the smoking gun I was looking for: the head gasket was blown out at the 6:00 position!

I had the same problem with my snowblower. I had to take 1/2 of the head screws out to access the carburetor. So, after doing everything as you did, i called the mower repairman and he mentioned the head gasket-which was being messed up when I took the cover off to get to the carburetor. It fired right up with a new head gasket-and tightening the bolts a little tighter. I didn't read all of the answers and yet I found out that this was THE answer. My snowblower is a Sno Bee 1964 7 Hp blower.