Thinking of getting a Poly Lawn Roller (any input appreciated)

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Thinking of getting a Poly Lawn Roller (any input appreciated)
I noticed a LOT of frost heave thru my lawn.. Bumps & humps.

Guess it's time for a Lawn roller.. Been looking at a Brinly & also an Agri-Fab roller. Both are Poly rollers.

Any thing I should try & avoid or any tips would be greatly appreciated.. This is to be pulled behing my Toro ZTR...

Last edited:

mowerman05

Threads
Personally I would go with a steel drum over poly. The poly roller that I used didn't seem to work near as well as the steel, to much flex in the drum, just my opinion. No right or wrong answer here.

sjessen

Threads
Would renting one be an option?

Lawn Addict
Threads
mowerman05- The way they are building steel drum rollers today 14 ga. steel (that I have seen) doesn't seem to have the beef.. I could almost press a dent into one with my hand. (believe me)..

Older steel rollers (if you can find) were made of real steel..

sjessen- Renting is an option, however as time allows, I am also doing some dirt work down back & would like to have a roller handy, anytime I want. Plus I have been wanting to do spring 'lawn roll outs' for a while now.. Get some mole tunnels & frost heave.

And now with my Z, if I can smooth it a bit better, I can zip faster.. :laughing:

Lawn Addict
Threads
After studying the rather dismal choices & high prices for a tow behind lawn roller.. I have decide to just make my own, for as little use it will see, this makes most sense to me.

1 Large piece of 8" x 46" PVC, make a end plug drill it for a center axle. Wire the other end to hold axle centered & upright. mix up some ready mix concrete, fill to full. Let cure, fab up some brackets to tow with with, 1 bolt removal to take off tow bar (which I will store inside) the roller can remain out under my rear deck..

As to my calculations, should be about 300 lb complete.. So much for store bought overpriced crap. & this will be to my desired width & weight, & should be pretty bullet-proof..

As to the materials, I have most everything here, except for the concrete..

FMBill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I concur with mowerman.