No More Oil Changes for Briggs & Stratton Engines!

slow84ta

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Briggs 22" push mower hasn't had an oil change since I've owned it in 7 years, mind you I do only need to cut my grass 8-10x a year, mostly weeds! :thumbsup:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not a matter of how little the use is, rather an issue that over time the oil additives break down & the oil then starts becoming acidic.

But good for you, look at the money saved from not changing probably 20 oz of oil, each time.

I never go longer than one year, but that's me.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Briggs 22" push mower hasn't had an oil change since I've owned it in 7 years, mind you I do only need to cut my grass 8-10x a year, mostly weeds! :thumbsup:

You aren't alone on this. That is why the Briggs & Stratton no oil change is a good idea. Not saying there is anything wrong changing oil once year for the people that want do that.

startrite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Apparently Briggs and Stratton has been developing an engine that will no longer require oil changes. They say it should last the expected lifespan of the typical walk behind lawn mower, which is about 12 years. These new engines will be available on Walk Behind Lawn Mowers in early Spring of 2015. New 2015 Briggs & Stratton Engine | Top Rated Zero Turn Mower Reviews

Change the oil once per season and the engine will last you 20 years for the average homeowner who uses their mower 2 or 3 hours per week per season. These engines don't have an oil filter to take the grit out of the oil. Briggs and others use this as a selling point of convenience. If you blow the engine up after the two year warranty, their hands are clean of any warranty work and you get to buy another engine from them!

turbofiat124

Threads
An engine you never have to change the oil? Yeah, they call it a 2 stroke!

My guess is it has some "long life" synthetic oil in it. Considering I had one B&S throw a rod after 5 years and the one on my Craftsman is 6 years old and is using oil with less than 500 hours on it, I seriously doubt a B&S would even make it 12 years....

Last edited:

RoofTopPigeon

Threads
Briggs and Stratton is now saying that; You can determine the Proper Oil Viscosity
for your 4-Cycle Mower; By Evaluating your Local Climate's
Average Outdoor Temperatures During your Mowing Season.

They State that Their Small Engine Oil Type Recommendations are:

•Use SAE 30 in warmer temperatures of 40°F and higher

•Use SAE 10W-30 for a varying temperature range of 0ºF to 100°F

• Use a Full-Synthetic 5W-30 Oil if your Mowing Season often sees temperatures above 100ºF Such as Arizona and Nevada

•For Continuous-use, and Commercial Lawn mowing use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (in Weather temperatures of 20°F to 130°F)

For those who would like to read it for themselves;
This was all found right from Briggs and Stratton website:

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...-capacity.html