• Bag

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Mulch

Votes: 31 73.8%

• Total voters

pffft

Forum Newbie
Threads
I compost all grass clippings. I use a push mower with a bag and empty it as needed. The bulk of the yard is mowed with a riding JD, I mow in a pattern to consolidate the cut grass into strips, then rake it into wheeled trash bins and dump it into a homemade composter. Wetting it and covering it with a thin layer of compost and dirt really accelerates breaking the clippings down into usuable compost.

We compost grass clippings, leaves, edging and hedge trimmings and some kitchen refuse, i.e. eggshells, vegetables. No fats or proteins unless it's vegan.

mrstan

Threads
I prefer to mulch on the yard, but you have to be careful with that such that tends to grow as mulch accumulates. I will mow using the mulching method all year with one time a year running a D Thatcher on my yard. I don't bag anything unless there's like a big mess in my yard. If I have a lot of weeds appear in my yard I will bag until the weed infestation is resolved. I don't know why I have problems with weeds in my yard, but they seem to come in in the spring time. I don't like to mulch when there's weeds that are seeding simply from preference alone. I may be wrong, but it seems self-defeating if I mulch weed seeds into my grass. What do you think?

Bob E

Threads
Grass gets side discharged, leaves get mulched.

Point37

Threads
bag all season and dump it in the woods...so the dogs don't eat it

cruzenmike

Threads
When I had .15 acres I bagged every cut. When I moved and had .28 acres I mulched every three or four cuts. With over an acre to cut now, I side discharge every cut!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I discharge with mulching blades (Gator G5/G6) most of the time, discharge with high lift blades when necessary (lush spring growth) and do a combination of discharging with mulching blades and bagging in the fall. Bagging is generally my last option. I'd usually rather double cut a lawn than bag it. Mulching exclusively just isn't a practical option for me, and bagging exclusively is too time consuming and generates too much material.

yorozuya

Forum Newbie
Threads
I usually bag them or just use my rake to get rid of them, but I'm currently looking into alternate ways of dealing with leaves.
This thread has some great tips.