Research

Would you buy eco-friendly products even if they cost more? Mow Home or for company?

• Yes i would buy eco-friendly, Home only

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No I wouldn't buy eco-friendly, Home only

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Yes I would buy eco-friendly, Company

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I wouldn't buy eco-friendly, Company

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

mts63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm conducting research for a startup company interested in manufacturing new, innovative products in the lawn care industry. I would greatly appreciate it if you answered a few questions for me over a couple of threads. Thanks so much!

I'm posting two questions in this poll and would appreciate if you answer bot because I'm interested in how they correlate. This question will have the ability to answer more than one option.

Would you spend more money on a product that is eco-friendly?
Do you only mow your own home or do you mow lawns within your company?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What do you call eco friendly ?
Most here appreciate that imbedded pollution in a mower is several orders of magnitude bigger than the operational pollution.
So the most "Eco Friendly" thing is using your properly serviced mower for as long as possible.
I specialize in refurbishing 2 stroke mowers and regularly get idiots with lots of emotion but no knowledge berading me about putting all those horrid dirty engines back on the market.
Funny enough none of them have ever seen a carbon boil at an iron foundry nor do they have any idea just how much energy, particularly electricity goes into making and then casting a pound of aluminium or how fast the "eco-friendly" lean burning wears the rings & bores to the point that the "eco-friendly" 4 stroke pumps out more hydrocarbons than the "dirty 2 stroke" but they all KNOW that what I do is bad for the envioment.

If you really want to save the planet then get your clients to make top shelf goods with very long service life then advertise them properly drawing out the comparison between the embedded pollution in a long life product comparred to the embedded pollution in a piece of short term temporary land fill replaced every few years.

As for the survey the answer is NO.
I am yet to find any produce flogged to Joe Public as "Eco Friendly" the is genuinely "Eco Friendly" but then again I am not Joe Public.

I have a brain tat I am not afraid or too lazy to use and the necessary professional education to tell a real "Eco Friendly" product from trash being mass marketed with lots of emotional strings.

deck~dragger

Threads
Reply to question 1- Newer small engines are already eco, lean carbs being one example. I once bought a mini-tiller with a catalyst exhaust. Of coarse the sales pitch was it being better for the environment. When tilling the muffler would glow cherry red and after shutting down the whole top of the engine would smoke it was so hot. Maybe I got a dud, partly my fault, was mail ordered. I gave it away the following year.
A few years later, bought a top brand chain saw, did not know at the time but found out later it had a catalyst muffler. As soon as I found out, bought an after market non-catalyst muffler.
The saw runs better and cooler. Now I don't have an engineering degree but would say it will last years longer. Now products that last longer are in my opinion, much better for the eco-system since it costs the environment when new products are made. Now, what's really bad for the eco-system is we are living in a disposable society, buy cheap, use for a short time, product goes bad, buy another cheap.
On that note mts63, with me the answer would be no. With society in general, may well be the opposite. Good luck with your research and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

RjMaan

Threads
Yeah, to have an Eco-friendly equipment is a good deal. After the introduction of SGD's it is a hot issue that to how to conserve nature. So, i think it is really a good idea but they must be cheap enough so that people find some incentive to purchase them.