ignition wire repair for Honda

Vpatel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have Honda harmony lawn mower. Model is HRR2162 SDA Sr. Number 6768704.

I accidently damaged the ignition coil wire that goes into the spark plug boot. To make things worse, I tried to cut little more insulation to expose the wire (metal or some fuzzy material which could be graphite) and insert it in the boot to complete the circuit. However, in this process, I have cut the coil wire just a little short.

My question is, is there any simple way to extend the wire?
1: I was thinking that such wire can be bought at any auto supply store. However, not sure what is at the other end of the wire. Can I simply keep the coil assembly, insert a new wire, and connect it to the boot at spark plug end?
2: Is wire an integral part of the coil/magnet and do I need to replace the ignition coil assembly?

Thanks.

VB

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello VB and welcome to LMF..

The plug wire normally is 'just long enough'... not a lot of extra.

Its usually going to be a resistive wire, so not an easy splice & high voltage likes to leak... you may find that an extension can be made but it is going to bulk up the plug wire and it's kept short so as not to get caught on things...
Your right they are an integral part of the coil, but I hate to scrap something without trying to repair it...Get a plug wire 6 to 8mm, cut it to length and try to make it work...

the worst that will happen is you'll have to get a new coil... :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello vpatel and WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :D

I have moved your thread to the Honda Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :thumbsup:

I hope your problem will be solved soon :rolleyes:

Vpatel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I will try to see if I can try. Is it easy to replace coil? I don't even know how to get to it.

Additionally, I putaluminum foil around the coil wire and made little extension that is inside of the boot and at least was able to start. I do not believe this is a permanent solution but any opinion in implementing similar solution that can last? what type of material is inside of the wire? i do not see any metal. it looks like very soft fuzzy material.

by the way, the boot housing only has the metal, it does't look like there is any capacitor like it may be in the generator made by honda.

thanks again.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can take a length of wire, stab one end into the center of your ignition wire, it will stick into the center string like material... make a couple of loops on the other end of this extension wire, slip this into the boot and onto the spark plug... this might make a permanent 'extension' and save you the cost of a new coil... any wire will work for this even a paper clip...if the boot is not tight on the plug wire you can glue it on with weather strip adhesive... :smile:KennyV

Vpatel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Worked like a charm. After winding the wire (paper clip) pushing it into boot was pretty hard so I doubt it will get out. I wish I was able to take metal sleeve form boot out so I could have surrounded the wire with metal pin wire and crimp it. The metal part was impossible to push out of the boot. Thanks for the idea Kenny.