Fastrak deck changes?

jeep'nk9s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at possibly purchasing a 54" Fastrack for just over 1 acre tall fine fescue, sloped property. Have been trying to compare deck mowing qualities, as I typically mulch and mow every 4 days. Was looking between a Scag with a velocity deck (more money than want to spend) or a Hustler. Thought I was sold on a Fastrak, but now questioning a Raptor but like the wider base of the Fastrak for the slopes. Local dealer pulled a new old stock 2012 Fastrak out of warehouse and shot me a price 1200 cheaper than 2015 model but said the deck on the 2015 was newer design, (taller) as well as the minor changes that were obvious between the units. Any input on the cutting performance between these decks? I do not like to leave trails or clumps, shooting for that manicured look I got with my old Toro Commercial.

MRCo.

Threads
The new and old Fastrak decks are totally different. I haven't had a new one in to cut with, but the old one gave me excellent cut quality whenever I took one home last year. It was also the best on slope mower I used, never slipped. I would take the deal on the NOS Fastrak. If he is cutting you a good deal it is a lot more mower than a Raptor SD for not a lot more money.

West

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up a new 2013 Fastrak 54 inch deck in January 2015 4 year warranty still with it, paid $4,999 for it pretty good price I thought , I also bought the mulch kit blades baffles Ive used it four times this year already it mulches the grass pretty fine but the grass collects on the baffles and hopefully its just from the grass being damp from this time of year it has left some deposits , I could probably remove the 3 baffles this time of year to possibly prevent the deposits or clumps , the kawasaki 23hp has a blade tip speed of 18,900 so power is not a problem I have my doubts that any mulching deck could be self cleaning with a bit of dew on the grass especially this time of year and late fall. I did grab a Mojack pro with the money I saved so I may take off the baffles next time I mow and see how that works out. I have like 1.2 acres and about a 2% easy slope . Good luck with your purchase

jeep'nk9s

Forum Newbie
Threads
:confused2:
Ok, got two Hustlers dealers been talking with.

Options I have are;

#1 Raptor SD 54" (both dealers are $3900)
#2 Fastrak 54"(2012 New Old Stock FS motor) $4800 (comes with flex forks ) Dealer #1
#3 Fastrak 54" (2015 model FX motor) $5900 Dealer #2

I really like the Fastrak with the ROP since I have a few inclines and a kid who will want to drive the mower. Question is the extra $1100 for the 2015 worth it? Nicer spring supported seat. Single fuel tank with better gauge. Deeper (more capacity) Deck, larger side discharge opening, folding ROP. Sitting on both, I seem to have more leg room on the 2015 which definitely has a heavier built frame then the 2012

Looking for some help for me to flip this tree sided coin..............

MRCo.

Threads
Number 2. Great deal!

PVHIII

Threads
A standard Fast Trak with a Kawasaki FX engine...must have been a special order... Never seen that mower/engine combo.

DJ660

Threads
You think the 2015 fastrak has a heavier frame?????? I personally like the "Older" chain deck hanging setup over the "Linked" bolt in a slot design the 2015 unit has. The new unit feels cheaper to me than old one. I DO like the new deeper deck, just not the way its hanging on unit.

PVHIII

Threads
:confused2:
Ok, got two Hustlers dealers been talking with.

Options I have are;

#1 Raptor SD 54" (both dealers are $3900)
#2 Fastrak 54"(2012 New Old Stock FS motor) $4800 (comes with flex forks ) Dealer #1
#3 Fastrak 54" (2015 model FX motor) $5900 Dealer #2

I really like the Fastrak with the ROP since I have a few inclines and a kid who will want to drive the mower. Question is the extra $1100 for the 2015 worth it? Nicer spring supported seat. Single fuel tank with better gauge. Deeper (more capacity) Deck, larger side discharge opening, folding ROP. Sitting on both, I seem to have more leg room on the 2015 which definitely has a heavier built frame then the 2012

Looking for some help for me to flip this tree sided coin..............
There's NO WAY...the frame is heavier on 2015...they're fabricated and the older models are all welded one piece (much stronger)...sure glad I got my 2013 SD before they changed them up.

PVHIII

Threads
You think the 2015 fastrak has a heavier frame?????? I personally like the "Older" chain deck hanging setup over the "Linked" bolt in a slot design the 2015 unit has. The new unit feels cheaper to me than old one. I DO like the new deeper deck, just not the way its hanging on unit.
couldn't agree with you more!

Grass Whisper

Threads
Looking into the a Fastrak 54 as well. My dealer has both '14 and '15 Fastrak 54. The difference being the deck and how their hung. The dealer called the rep and I spoke to him on the phone and played 20 questions:

-About the change from the chain hung deck to the brackets: "that change was due to making the leveling procedure easier. The chain hung deck takes 45 mins to do properly. The bracket hung deck makes it much easier to fix if it should get knocked out of whack"

-About the deck change in depth, 2014 deck being 4.5 deep to the 2015 being 5 inch deep: "we wanted to get better performance from the deeper deck and think this improved performance results in a better cut."

My conversation was geared towards the poor mulching with the Raptor SD 54 with the mulch kit ( also has a 4.5 inch deck ). I am considering an upgrade to a '15 Fastrak. Mostly because of the deeper deck @ 5 inches. Does anyone know if the Fastrak has 3 baffles to isolate each blade or is there 2 like the Raptor SD 54. The Raptor SD 54 leaves clumps and I believe that its because the discharge blade uses the cover plate to isolate the blade. This lack of adequate isolation allows for poor performance resulting in a trail of clumped grass of the discharge side. Now, with that being said, all the blades are working to move the grass toward the discharge side so yes its a challenge. I am no engineer and have no experience with the art of mulching and the aerodynamics of airflow under a mower deck. Its just a thought in my little head. :cool: