Cub Cadet LT1018

rgrusmc1371

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Gents, having a little issue with my Cub Cadet LT 1018... it ran fine put it away, next day went to use it and it acted like it was loading up so i took the carb off broke it completely down cleaned EVERYTHING put it back with new gaskets but no luck..checke the Armature Air Gap and was dead on, so my next thing is to check the torque on the valves but i can not find any info on what the torqe specs are suppose to be, if anyone could inform me of propper specs for the valves id appreciate it.. Also if i could bother anyone and ask if its possible that anyone in this forum would happen to have a workshop repair manual for my cub cadet 1000 series i would highly appreciate it very much. My email is ogden1371@gmail.com or rgrusmc1371@gmail.com.. Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Fallujah Vet..
SEMPER-FI!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey Gents, having a little issue with my Cub Cadet LT 1018... it ran fine put it away, next day went to use it and it acted like it was loading up so i took the carb off broke it completely down cleaned EVERYTHING put it back with new gaskets but no luck..checke the Armature Air Gap and was dead on, so my next thing is to check the torque on the valves but i can not find any info on what the torqe specs are suppose to be, if anyone could inform me of propper specs for the valves id appreciate it.. Also if i could bother anyone and ask if its possible that anyone in this forum would happen to have a workshop repair manual for my cub cadet 1000 series i would highly appreciate it very much. My email is ogden1371@gmail.com or rgrusmc1371@gmail.com.. Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Fallujah Vet..
SEMPER-FI!!

Torque spec for valves ?
I presume you mean valve clearances .

Why do all the hard stuff before the easy stuff ?
Won't start the next day No 1 will be to try a brand new fresh plug with some brand new fresh fuel.
that generally does the trick.

Any way you are there now so this is where to find what you need to know
Cub Cadet Professional Shop Manuals
Book mark the site they are really good for parts provided you want original Cub parts
or
"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"
Slightly different manuals with clearer images and a good place for aftermarket Cub bits

I have trade accounts with both because Cub Australia won't sell me parts and the agents actually charge me more than retail so I get my bits from the US for 1/2 the local wholesale price ( used to be 1/3 but the $ Aus has dropped a bit )

rgrusmc1371

Forum Newbie
Threads
Torque spec for valves ?
I presume you mean valve clearances .

Why do all the hard stuff before the easy stuff ?
Won't start the next day No 1 will be to try a brand new fresh plug with some brand new fresh fuel.
that generally does the trick.

Any way you are there now so this is where to find what you need to know
Cub Cadet Professional Shop Manuals
Book mark the site they are really good for parts provided you want original Cub parts
or
"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"
Slightly different manuals with clearer images and a good place for aftermarket Cub bits

I have trade accounts with both because Cub Australia won't sell me parts and the agents actually charge me more than retail so I get my bits from the US for 1/2 the local wholesale price ( used to be 1/3 but the $ Aus has dropped a bit )

Thank you for the quick reply Mark,
Yes valve clearance is what i was looking for and i did all the simple stuff 1st well the fuel was about a week old ut brand new plugs as i have plenty in stock but previous to all of this, approx 2months ago i emptied the fuel tank and put new inline fuel filter on so i really was not thi king to much of a gas issue though now that i think about it, it could be bad gas comsidering where i got the gas from, a few years back had a similar issue with one of my STIHL saws and come to find out it was the gas that i had gotten from gas station, somehow had a great deal of water in it... Anyhow im not pos but i think valve clearance check is the last thing that could possibly be wrong other than water in the tank.. Im going to check clearance sense ive already gotten to that far..again thank you and will return when i complete the work to update

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
What engine fitted?
I think its a Briggs 18.5 hp which would be model 31.
Intake is 0.03" - 0.05 and exhaust is 0.05 - 0.07.
What do you mean by loading up?

rgrusmc1371

Forum Newbie
Threads
What engine fitted?
I think its a Briggs 18.5 hp which would be model 31.
Intake is 0.03" - 0.05 and exhaust is 0.05 - 0.07.
What do you mean by loading up?

Yes it is the 18.5 ELS and by loading up i mean dumping to much fuel making it miss and back fire. Ive been doing process of illimination and started with carb new gaskets all the way around also so not sucking air in from anywhere.. I just got back to my garage getting ready to dig back in..and thank you for the specs y the way

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
It sounds like carb but as long as it is cleaned properly then that can be ruled out.

Do you have excess oil in the air filter?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This wouldn't happen to have a Nikki carb would it. Some of those carbs have a rubber cork that stops fuel from bypassing one of the jets. It that cork is missing will cause rich running.

magnum308

Threads
Hi Newie here from Australia.

I "inherited" two Cub Cadets when we bought this place a year ago. A LT1018 B&S 42" and 3000 model 54". The latter needs a bit of work, belts replaced and a deck idler bearing. might sell it. So I have be using the LT 1018 and it is great. We gave it a service before winter (here we are just coming into summer) and i have done a few mows which take around 3-4 hours (I only mow around 1.5 acres around the house). and it's due for another service (oil change, filter, grease wheels) as I do them every 25 hrs as recommended by the B&S manual.

Now to the issue in hand. I had used the mower and it ran fine. Then came to start it after about a week and it wouldn't start or fire up. We checked everything, spark plug, air cleaner OK. A friend came over and we checked the fuel pump was working. Continued cranking (battery was good) and it finally started. So we put it down to fuel. If has worked fine ever since too. I forgot to mention that I had it in the shop just before the last mow before winter. The guy replaced all deck belts and the coil as that was failing and the mower stopped on me a couple times prior to that. So that's something you could check.

I have a question and apologies if I am hijacking your thread. What's the process/procedure to set/adjust the valve clearance? Also what tool do you use? It looks like a No 15 or No 20 torx bit?

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
tacking onto the bottom of a 2 year old thread is a bad idea.
Please start a new one then pop a note refferenceing the new thread under this one.