Stihl blower wont idle but runs perfect wide open, why?

Rdfish1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Stihl blower wont idle but runs perfect wide open, why?
I have a bg55 stihl blower that is 6-8 yrs old and it wont idle nor run while a half speed, but will run all day long on high, wide open. I tried spraying carb cleaner into the carb also pulled the low speed adj screw out and flushed it w cleaner, then reinstalled by lightly seating then backing out 1'turn per the manual. These efforts made no difference whatsoever.

I am trying to avoid a complete carb rebuild or replacement if possible but perhaps that is my only option. Any ideas? Thank you

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a bg55 stihl blower that is 6-8 yrs old and it wont idle nor run while a half speed, but will run all day long on high, wide open. I tried spraying carb cleaner into the carb also pulled the low speed adj screw out and flushed it w cleaner, then reinstalled by lightly seating then backing out 1'turn per the manual. These efforts made no difference whatsoever. I am trying to avoid a complete carb rebuild or replacement if possible but perhaps that is my only option. Any ideas? Thank you

Try cleaning the spark arrester. Sounds like it's plugged.

Rdfish1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should haveentioned spark arrestor clean.

Buzgod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unfortunately that carb will probably have to be replaced. Sucks that they view those things as disposable.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Any time that I have worked on anything with a plugged muffler you lose high speed. The PO has high speed but no low speed?? Loosing low speed is more like a vacuum leak or carburetor problem.

nhyrum

Threads
have you actually adjusted the low screw? or just the 1 turn out? you may have to actually adjust it. the manual settings will get it to "run" but not very well.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
have you actually adjusted the low screw? or just the 1 turn out? you may have to actually adjust it. the manual settings will get it to "run" but not very well.

This was posted almost 2 1/2 years ago. Still nothing wrong with bringing this post up and you have a very good point.

nhyrum

Threads
Oops, my bad, I'm usually pretty good about checking dates before posting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't worry, we have all done it from time to time.
The OP never came back with a problem solved reply and the replies he got never explained what he was asking.

The carb has 2 independent circuits which can be thought of as 2 different carbs in the one casing.
The low speed & Idle circuit
The full speed circuit

The low speed circuit is blocked or out of adjustment which one poster suggested adjusting.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oops, my bad, I'm usually pretty good about checking dates before posting.

I never see anything wrong with bringing old post up. It can always be helpful to someone and berts added some very good information to it. :thumbsup: