Hello From the Pacific Northwest

Bobrien

Threads
I'm fairly new to this forum and find this site as well as others with the same topics very helpful. I'm retired and moved to the Pacific Northwest, just south of Seattle 8 years ago. My wife and I live in a rural, wooded community. We are on a little over an acre, and have about 1/2 an acre of grass and a huge asphalt entry/driveway that occasionally needs plowing when we get snow.

I originally went to a John Deere forum website and asked the question...Old vs. New? The answer from most of the viewers was...purchase an older John Deere lawn tractor.

Since its almost impossible to find a used JD here in Washington, it took me over a year to find one on E-Bay. I did the buy it now on the 3rd of July for $550 and the owner delivered it to me the next day. Its a 1987 JD 165. Its in pretty good condition since it was owned by a Microsoft executive, who kept it in his barn year round.

I found a light kit on E-Bay, and recently replaced the engine, put one of those nice high-back JD replacement seats and other than looking a bit tattered since it was used to plow snow this winter, its in real good shape.

I've attached several pictures of the 165 and also included a copy of my late Uncle Henry on his Oliver Tractor. I admired this man all my life and he was a great farmer. He owned a fleet of Deere, McCormick,:smile: and a gaggle of attachments which he and my late grandfather invented and built. Recently a family member found the post card, which originally was drawn up from a black and white photo taken by the tractor mfg. It was re-drawn in color and made into posters, mailers and calendars and distributed to farmers who might be interested in a new tractor. It was taken in Greenfield, CA somewhere around the 40's or 50's. The reason I included it, was because this was the first tractor I ever got to drive when I was a kid, but most of all, it is my tribute to a great man. Also, since he was a big John Deere fan, it was the real reason I just had to have a baby Deere. Enjoy and I'm looking forward to using this very nice forum.

Attachments

• April 2011 067.JPG
    April 2011 067.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Dec 21, 2008 Winder Snow 074.JPG
    Dec 21, 2008 Winder Snow 074.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Dec 21, 2008 Winder Snow 044.jpg
    Dec 21, 2008 Winder Snow 044.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Uncle Henry.jpg
    Uncle Henry.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 14

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Bobrien and WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! I'm sure you will enjoy yourself here. Be sure to check out the John Deere Forum. I'm sure you'll feel right at home there :wink:

By the way, I was born and raised in Washington myself. :smile:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love those little Deeres. Just curious, how come in all the pictures of the tractor, the light kit you bought is never ON?? :biggrin:

Bobrien

Threads
Ahh...just saw your response. I actually just put in a new switch, and they do work. They are a bit dull, but they do work. I'll have to post some new pictures. Also, just purchased a new high back seat on E-Bay, and it makes such a difference.

rmancini

Threads
Hi neighbor -
I'm just up Rt. 16 from you in good ole' Podunk (P.O.) .
Sure hasn't been much of a summer yet. 60º and rain today but I guess that's better than the parts of the US that are in the 100's!

Rich

Bobrien

Threads
Hello to you too neighbor. The weather sure has been goofy this year, but I sure wouldn't trade it for anywhere else. I was raised in the Bay Area and sure don't miss the wind, fog and hot summer days that are followed by the windy fog. At least we are more consistant weather wise here.