It's not a Lawn-Boy, but still thought it was worth a mention. Flymo

jfpointer

Threads
  • / It's not a Lawn-Boy, but still thought it was worth a mention. Flymo
Thanks. Good to know it's the same carb as fitted to the Toro unit - that helps a lot.

I found the filter here in the UK: Flymo Snorkel Air Filter | Air Filters for Flymo | Mower Magic A search on that part number did not turn anything up elsewhere.

F

That definitely looks like the right filter. Maybe I'll see if they'll ship to me in the U.S. at a reasonable price; I sure can't seem to find that thing anywhere else.

I put the new diaphragm and gasket on the carb on mine, which pretty much exhausted my carb-rebuilding abilities. Still got not much more than a cough out of it, so I took it to a repair shop I trust to see if they could get it running.

I'm dropping it off and one of the guys at the shop says, "What is that thing?" Says I, "Flying mower." His reply to that was "No way, you're shittin' me..." :laughing:

flymo.mulch

Threads
JF, I am looking to grab a couple of the filters too. If you check out the shipping price and it seems like it would make sense to combine orders to save on shipping, let me know.

F

jfpointer

Threads
JF, I am looking to grab a couple of the filters too. If you check out the shipping price and it seems like it would make sense to combine orders to save on shipping, let me know.

F
I didn't order since I don't have confirmation yet that the shop has been able to get it running, but the total for one filter shipped to me was about 14.5 euros so the shipping was basically the same price as the filter. I didn't check, but it might make more sense and save some money on shipping to order two or three of them at once. Obviously that's a bit high at ~$20 for a mower air filter, but there really don't seem to be any sources for them in the U.S. I'm also assuming that the filter lasts a long time up on the handle like that and doesn't exactly require frequent replacement.

flymo.mulch

Threads

jfpointer

Threads
Good news, the Flymo is up and running! Picked it up Saturday and put it to work mowing the steep slope on the house we're flipping. It was quite a revelation--although the grass was very tall, it barely bogged at all cutting it, and it's the easiest thing to push around that I've ever used. As long as I can keep it running, it'll see plenty of use around here.:biggrin:

As far as air filters are concerned, I can see why they put the canister style filter up on the handle. There's a lot of stuff flying around down there at the business end of things.

Last edited:

flymo.mulch

Threads
Very cool - glad to hear it works well for you! Do you know what the place had to do to get it running?

I got the carb kit for mine, but I didn't get a chance to work on it over the weekend. Also, I checked my canister filter - it looks a bit dirty, but seems to flow air just fine.

F

jfpointer

Threads
Very cool - glad to hear it works well for you! Do you know what the place had to do to get it running?

I got the carb kit for mine, but I didn't get a chance to work on it over the weekend. Also, I checked my canister filter - it looks a bit dirty, but seems to flow air just fine.

F
As far as getting it to run, according to what he told me they did some cleaning on the carb and the fuel tank and put in a different plug. The one I had in there was new, but it was a slightly hotter range than what it calls for.

They also sharpened the blade and either fixed or replaced the starter rewind spring. It was a bit weak, leaving about 10" of rope sticking out instead of returning all the way.

flymo.mulch

Threads
Interesting - that's exactly what I am in the process of doing with mine. Fuel tank has been cleaned, I took the starter off and cleaned and lubed it, and I have a new plug ready to go. Hopefully I will have the same good luck, once I have time to work on the carb!

F

flymo.mulch

Threads
I have the carb back together, but have not yet had a chance to try it out. This was my first time rebuilding a diaphragm carb, so hope it comes out OK. One interesting note is that the carb does not match anything in the manual - it has a fixed high speed jet, but it appears to be just the regular high speed jet glued into place.

Wish me luck with it this weekend!

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. The trick is to take your time with carbs. You can't rush with them (so many little parts).