Toro MX 5060 brake module malfunctioning.

georgesmith61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went to crank up my mower after sitting about 2 months in the cold and the battery was dead. Put a charger on the battery and cranked it up to find that the electric brake module will not release the brakes. I manually released the brakes by flipping the rods over on the brake module then i would be riding and all of a sudden the module will fire and lock the brakes while riding. I then cut the engine and the brake module fires for no reason multiple times in a row and will not stop unless i disconnect the battery.

Does this sound like a bad brake module? I bought a new battery also and that did not help anything.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://www.mowersdirect.com/manuals/74641_manual.pdf check out pages 35 & 36 in owners manual, brake reset & let us know if this helps or not, thanks. Also refer to page 51 wiring diagram in manual and trace wires by hand making sure everything is tight & secure,good connections free from rust & corrosion, switches, relays, & fuses.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also check the battery voltage and the alternator output.
Electric brakes will oft engage at any voltage under a set limit so if the voltage drops down to say 11 V, the relay fies & jambs on the brakes.

We had this problem with a bobcat.
If the battery was bad, some of the relays would not work so while i would run, some of the movements like tipping the bucket would not.
Took us ages to track that down

georgesmith61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies.

I installed a new battery as the old one would not hold a decent charge. I also reset the brake manually and that did not help. All the connections and fuses are good also. The brake modulator would still just click repeatedly for no reason even after the engine was turned completely. I went ahead and took off the brake modulator to check the wire connection and inside the modulator one of the terminal where the pins connect to the wires is all corroded. I ordered a new brake modulator and hope this will solve the problem.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the replies.

I installed a new battery as the old one would not hold a decent charge. I also reset the brake manually and that did not help. All the connections and fuses are good also. The brake modulator would still just click repeatedly for no reason even after the engine was turned completely. I went ahead and took off the brake modulator to check the wire connection and inside the modulator one of the terminal where the pins connect to the wires is all corroded. I ordered a new brake modulator and hope this will solve the problem.

Good deal, suggestion: get a tube of silicone dielectric & use on connections, helps keep moisture out, any auto parts store, online, etc.