Difference between 2014 and 2015 Hustler Fastrak SDs

gbailey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a Fastrak SD with a 60 inch deck and have a choice of a new 2014 or 2015 model. The 2014 is around $500 cheaper and I'm thinking of going for that unless the 2015 is substantially better.

Any advice/views?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin.

PVHIII

Threads
The 2014 is a better mower...the new ones have the FS engine instead of the commercial FX engine...the new ones have plastic on the deck instead of steel and they have a fabricated frame instead of welded steel..they also have the deck hung on brackets that will bend instead of chain hung.. to get all this stuff you now have to step up to the X-one...I was quiet surprised to see how Hustler has lowered the quality of this mower but yet they moved it up a category to their commercial line up of mowers...my 2014 is alot more commercial than the 2015.

MRCo.

Threads
I don't fully agree with the previous post. The plastic pulley covers are a step down of sorts, but who cares if you don't step on them? I agree on the linkage deck drop, but they are slotted for float...but chain is better. I agree they aren't commercial- they are larger land owner and handyman level commercial use. FX engines are better, but the FS is better suited to the mower level- the FX was over-specced on the 2014. The 2015 has many improvements as I see it. The deck is deeper with fully boxed anti-scalps and the wear strip. The hydros are isolated from each other. The hydros are ZT300- I never understood the 2014 SD still having ZT3100s. The new seat is great, new ROPs dont rattle. The new frame is fabricated, no different to the old one. Actually it is stronger, with bigger tubing and a boxed front cross member.

Overall, I think the new model with chain deck drop and metal pulley covers would be perfect. Which is better? I'm on the fence. The deck drop matters a lot, but in all other ways I take the new one.

PVHIII

Threads
I just want to start by saying I do respect your OPINIONS... but everything I stated was fact.."the FX engine was over-specced on the 14 model"...try telling that to someone mowing in extremely sandy/dusty conditions... and the frame on my 2014 is welded not fabricated and in no way shape form or fashion is the 2015 stronger and as far as the deck being deeper..that's true but I have never had a problem with cut quality or handling wet grass soI really don't need a deeper deck and your right about deck drop is very important..to the point where it cannot be over stated...Fact is if you park the two mowers side by side on the dealers showroom floor...Lawn care pros would pick the 2014 every time due to the FX engine and Chain dropped deck and WELDED frame..talked to one that had been in the business 12 yrs and had a Super Z HD and a Fastrak SD (13 model) on his trailer and he had the same concerns that I have mentioned... and if my 2014 isn't more commercial than the new ones how come you have to step up to the X-ONE to get these options... and I have to ask... are you a Hustler representative? or do you sell Hustler's?

PVHIII

Threads
Reason I ask is...I don't know a man/customer one that don't like "over specced"..as a matter of fact I wish everything I owned with an engine had an "OVER SPECCED" engine in it lol..and if anything is over specced it would be boxing in the front cross member...your never gonna bend the old style however it does give the mower a more sleak appearance if your into how your zero turn mower looks ;-)

MRCo.

Threads
Yes I sell them. It's irrelevant, I'm not here to pitch sales. You should always buy from the local guy, his kids need to eat.

I say over specked because mowers are broadly tagged to a performance / use level based upon the hydros. Look around, ZT3100s are...let's say...at a lower level than you would usually find an FX. I find going from 3100/FR to 3400/FS more logical than 3100/FR to 3100/FX. See the discord? My opinion differs to yours is all. Of course, you can always buy an SDX.

hustler54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Changes are as follow in 2015

FS pleated filter with foam from FX Donaldson style filter
22" tires vs. 20's
Wide smooth vs. skinny ribbed front tires
4" deep deck vs. 3 1/2"
Central located gas tank vs. dual saddle tanks
Electrical fuel gauge vs. float style
More plastic
better padded seat vs. old vinyl seat
solid mount seat vs. hinged flip up seat
battery located in rear fender vs. under seat

That's really the biggest differences, can't remember if they went to 3400 ZT's but think they did due to tire size.

As far as which one is better, I'm waiting to see how the 2015 holds up but the old school Fastrak is bullet proof. I have the 54" with an FS engine ( standard not SD fastrak) that just hit 659 hrs. today. I've replaced the deck belt twice, the hydro belt once, the center spindle bearings twice ( outside spindle are untouched), tensioner pulley once, fuel valve once, throttle cable once and serviced the hydros twice. My mower probably eats close to 25 acres every two weeks for the past 3 years and sits on an open trailer year round rain or shine. You could buy a new one cheaper than I would let this one go for. But like I said don't know what the new ones are going to do, hopefully they will turn out to be just as good as the older model but time will tell, if you do go for the older model you won't be disappointed. Not trying to push ya one way or another, rather just stating the facts that I can stand by.

MRCo.

Threads
PVHIII, just to add, I agree totally about the 2014 deck. Great finish and discharge for a shallower deck.

Hustler 54, later 2914 styles had the smoothe tires, and the deck have gone from 4.5 to 5.2". Many people share your sentiment- you cannot get them to sell that mower!

PVHIII

Threads
PVHIII, just to add, I agree totally about the 2014 deck. Great finish and discharge for a shallower deck.

Hustler 54, later 2914 styles had the smoothe tires, and the deck have gone from 4.5 to 5.2". Many people share your sentiment- you cannot get them to sell that mower!
Hustler should have dropped the deck with chains on the SD and SDX..JMO