Repairs wont start when cold

Mwh0428

Threads
My 317 with a 18 HP Kohler magnum won't start when its cold out like 30s and below and the kill switch won't work when the engine is warm. Any ideas?
Kohler magnum
Model: M18

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try some lighter weight oil and may be a bad switch for not turning off.

Mwh0428

Threads
I have a new switch and no resistance between the kill wire connection on the coil and ground when I flip the switch. It works good till the engine starts to warm up then it seems to diesel. I'm going to drop 5w-30 in it once I get it pushed in the shop and I will see what happens.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My 317 with a 18 HP Kohler magnum won't start when its cold out like 30s and below and the kill switch won't work when the engine is warm. Any ideas?
Kohler magnum
Model: M18

First of all has the engine been changed in this tractor? As I see it should have a 17 HP MODEL KT17 Kohler engine not a 18 HP Magnum? Am I missing some of the story here?

Mwh0428

Threads
Yes it dose have a different engine than stock.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So we are talking about a Kohler M18 twin cylinder. It has one coil for both cylinders which fires on every revolution of the engine. Very simple coil 2 secondary wires to the plugs and a kill wire. Kill wire go's to ground and the engine loses spark and the engine turns off, very simple. Have these problem's just started? You also said it also is dieseling and wouldn't start when cold. Seeing it not a stock engine who wired it and is it wired right. Does the engine have a good ground? Are the battery cables the right cables and are good?

Mwh0428

Threads
Yes its an 18 HP Kohler magnum there is a separate kill switch rather than the ignition because the ignition is original with the tractor it worked when I got it but now it doesn't. It runs good when you can get it to start.

Mwh0428

Threads
I went back and tried it today since it was about 30 out instead of 10-15 with a wind chill and it fired on the third crank. So I parked it in the heated part of my shop and I'm going to get some oil hopefully tomorrow. But why won't it start when its cold and what would cause it to diesel?