A Real Dissapointment

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bought a HONDA EU 2000 i generator and before it used the first tank of gas it already needs partial choke to keep it from sputtering / hunting. I know, you'll say it's that alcohol gas. Screwed it up before one single tank of gas was used ? Gimme a break.

Starts on first pull? Don't bet your pay check on it unless it's hot. Sets idol for a week. Forget it.

gfp55

Threads
Bought a HONDA EU 2000 i generator and before it used the first tank of gas it already needs partial choke to keep it from sputtering / hunting. I know, you'll say it's that alcohol gas. Screwed it up before one single tank of gas was used ? Gimme a break.

Starts on first pull? Don't bet your pay check on it unless it's hot. Sets idol for a week. Forget it.

How can that be? Its a Honda, everyone knows honda makes the best. It must be your fault.:confused::confused3::shocked:

bt3

Threads
OP:

Sorry to hear that. It truly sucks that a Honda would be unreliable, especially at the price you probably paid.

Well, sorry to say, I bought a cheap 2,500 watt peak, 2,000 watt nominal generator on eBay 10 years ago. Chinese I am sure. I think I paid $199 plus shipping.
The damn thing starts on the first pull. It can sit for years and still start up right away (I use StaBil in the tank). It's run my internet and router, my TV and cable TV devices via a UPS, and a few lights around the house many times during power outages.

I've probably used it 5 times, and once for over a week during a severe power outage during an ice storm about 8 years ago. Never failed me. It just starts easily and runs like a top with no surging. Can you believe it? It's hard for ME to believe and I am the guy using it! I really thought when I bought it that it would be a use it once or twice machine and that would be it. It's like a Timex watch. Go figure. I have run PREMIUM gas in it since it was new. That probably helps as it's probably got the engineering tolerances of a 1930 Indian Motorcycle.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Senior, Honda did have a carb problem a while back, but I'm sure they solved it. You may have gotten an old unit found in the warehouse. This is not a fuel problem. If it were mine I would take it to anHonda dealer to have the carb replaced, which should be under warranty.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

What is the serial number for your EU2? Honda did issue a Service Bulletin back in July for some units that had stale fuel from the factory. This may or may not be part of the problem with yours.

Next, understand the EU2 has a fuel pump, as the carburetor is not gravity-fed from the fuel tank. The fuel pump is vacuum-operated, and it may take a few pulls to get it fully primed and the fuel to get into the carburetor. A trick to making this easier is to turn the switch (fuel valve) to ON, then rock the unit back and forth a few times and give it a few seconds. This action will help prime the fuel pump and make it MUCH easier to start.

Finally, if the unit starts okay, but only runs smoothly when the choke is applied, it could be some blockage in the main jet or emulsion tube. Often, a dose of fuel system cleaner can resolve this. If you don't expect to use the EU2 for a while, drain all the fuel out (including the carburetor) for storage. Only add fresh gasoline when you're ready to start/run the unit.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the serial number for your EU2? Honda did issue a Service Bulletin back in July for some units that had stale fuel from the factory. This may or may not be part of the problem with yours.

Next, understand the EU2 has a fuel pump, as the carburetor is not gravity-fed from the fuel tank. The fuel pump is vacuum-operated, and it may take a few pulls to get it fully primed and the fuel to get into the carburetor. A trick to making this easier is to turn the switch (fuel valve) to ON, then rock the unit back and forth a few times and give it a few seconds. This action will help prime the fuel pump and make it MUCH easier to start.

Finally, if the unit starts okay, but only runs smoothly when the choke is applied, it could be some blockage in the main jet or emulsion tube. Often, a dose of fuel system cleaner can resolve this. If you don't expect to use the EU2 for a while, drain all the fuel out (including the carburetor) for storage. Only add fresh gasoline when you're ready to start/run the unit.

EAAJ 2399031

I've solved the hard start problem ( when cold ) with the same eye dropper I use to prime my lawn tractor.

Draining gas. Is there instructions for the tank and carburetor draining in the manual? If not I'll need some .

Is there a recommended fuel system cleaner that may or may not be effective in solving the problem?

Attachments

• eye dropper.jpg
    eye dropper.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 14

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
EAAJ 2399031

Okay, that serial number was NOT part of the affected units with contaminated test fuel from the factory. So no issue there.

However, my records show this serial number IS in a group of units that were part of a Safety Recall for a possible fuel tube leak. You did not receive notice of this, since this serial number was never registered with Honda (shows up blank on my database). It is important you get this unit to a Honda Generator dealer for inspection and possible repair. This issue is a fuel tube clamp may have damaged a fuel tube. The fix (if the tube is okay) is simply to turn the clamp. If the tube is damaged, it will be replaced. It's very important to have a Honda Dealer do this inspection and repair, so the unit can be properly logged into the Honda system and show this unit as having been inspected/repaired. When you take the unit to a dealer, they will also update the records showing you as the registered owner. This allows Honda to contact you if there are service issues in the future. Because this is a full-on Safety Recall, there is no cost for the repair; you just have to take it to a dealer (and usually can wait on the repairs).

Also related to your serial number, if you can provide proof-of-purchase (with a date) to the dealer at the time of repair, the dealer can also enter that date as the start of the 3-year warranty. Without proof-of-purchase, the warranty start date would be the date the unit was wholesaled, which is 6/14/2012. Not sure when you actually purchased the unit, but it was for sure after that. So try and find some documentation to show the purchase date and get the warranty start date set correctly. FYI, this unit was originally sold by Atwood Ranch & Home; did you buy it there?

Draining gas. Is there instructions for the tank and carburetor draining in the manual? If not I'll need some .

Is there a recommended fuel system cleaner that may or may not be effective in solving the problem?

Yes. The short version is simply to pump out or tip over and drain the tank though the filler neck. Then, loosen the drain screw on the carburetor to get the last few drops out. FYI, the EU2000i has a fuel pump, so you can't just gravity-drain the entire tank. Full instructions in the manual; link to it here: Honda EU2000i Owner's Manual for s/n 2399031

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took it to an independent mechanic because of course mine wasn't a part of the recall because of the factory leaving stale gas in it and the dealer wanted $100 / hour just to walk through the door with it.

The independent mechanic, I've known for years and knows how meticulous I am with my equipment, said there was no way that much crap could be in the carburetor with so little use. It had to come from the factory that way or was sold as new but was a pre- owned unit.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took it to an independent mechanic because of course mine wasn't a part of the recall because of the factory leaving stale gas in it and the dealer wanted $100 / hour just to walk through the door with it.

The independent mechanic, I've known for years and knows how meticulous I am with my equipment, said there was no way that much crap could be in the carburetor with so little use. It had to come from the factory that way or was sold as new but was a pre- owned unit.

What is your ZIP code? Please let me help you locate a Honda dealer so they can do the Safety Recall inspection and possible repair (no charge). There is a real risk of leaking fuel from a damaged fuel line.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is your ZIP code? Please let me help you locate a Honda dealer so they can do the Safety Recall inspection and possible repair (no charge). There is a real risk of leaking fuel from a damaged fuel line.
The zip is 73701 but I can guarantee you none of the dealers will know anything about a Safety Recall and possible repair at no charge.

Give me a list, I'll give all of them a call and do my best to remember their QUOTE and report back.