Color mulch?

Zeroturn

Threads
I'm the plain mulch person and I choose to use red. I have a friend who likes the black mulch and my cousin uses a browner mulch. What color do you use? Is there any reason for it?

dnjsyl

Threads
I use the brown mulch. I like the color and the smell of it

mystreba

Threads
I'm the plain mulch person and I choose to use red. I have a friend who likes the black mulch and my cousin uses a browner mulch. What color do you use? Is there any reason for it?

Sorry to say, I cringe when I see the red mulch. It just doesn't look natural to me. Black or brown, both seem to have that more natural look.

More importantly, what TYPE do you use? Last year I encircled all my trees - cut out the grass in a perfect circle and mulched them out - looked fantastic. I used brown hardwood mulch. While this looks great, beware that at a minimum you'll need to rake it all up each year, and you'll likely have to replace/add to it every other year. The reasons are that a) it compresses so much that water can scarcely permeate it; b) it fades to an almost gray-ish color; c) it decomposes quickly to the point that grass and mushrooms will literally start growing IN THE MULCH. In my beds where I've used mini-pine bark, I have had none of those problems.

mystreba

Threads
Another reason to use the brown mulch is that you can buy a truckload of it from the local landfill for $15 :cool:

JimmyWeb

Threads
I like brown personally, it looks more natural and is way cheaper than the other kinds of mulch. It might even have more nutrients in it, I'll have to check up on that.:smile:

ReggieDeere

Threads
Brown mulch is the only way to go in my opinion. My wife keeps a flower garden and we use brown mulch, the flowers grow very well.:smile:

I like brown personally, it looks more natural and is way cheaper than the other kinds of mulch. It might even have more nutrients in it, I'll have to check up on that.:smile: