Briggs and stratton help

man_caver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a new lawnmower last year for home and it has a briggs 5.5hp motor. It worked great for the 8 months that ive had it but i pulled it out to start it this spring and it wouldnt start. I noticed that the choke was closed so i got my daughter to hold it open a bit while i pulled the cord and it roared to life first pull. It doesnt have a visible card and the sring open the choke is connected to a small shaft that disappears into the motor housing. Any help with this one would be great. My small engine knowledge is lacking. Should something be opening the choke when i start it? Am i looking at tearing this thing down further, and if so does anyone know where i can at least download a manual? Thanks in advance.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe people will need more information like mower brand, model, and engine model the 5.5 Briggs may be set up different on different mowers.

man_caver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ya I tried to find the model number on the engine and to no avail. No tag over the exhaust and the briggs site said it may be posted over the spark plug but nope. The mower is a weedeater and it had a tag on the deck with two model numbers so I assume that one of them is the motor but doesnt look right. Anyway, its WE550N21RH3. I can take some pics of the motor to post if this would help. The mower does not have a throttle on it.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pictures will probably help !

man_caver

Forum Newbie
Threads
pictures. Im pointing at the pin that the choke linkage is attached

Attachments

• mower1.jpg
    mower1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 25
  • mower2.jpg
    mower2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 21
  • mower3.jpg
    mower3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 28
  • mower4.jpg
    mower4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 26

CajunCub

Threads
That pin is the governor rod shaft, and your air filter is mounted backwards.

Last edited:

man_caver

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, i just sat the air filter back on to take the picture. Isnt that shaft supposed to pull the choke open tho? It never attempts to open the choke when i start it. Should it open a bit when i pull the dead man switch on the handle?

CajunCub

Threads
That carb type has NO choke, the red bulb on the side is a primer...it squirts fuel into the intake directly.