Taking out tree stumps

Zeroturn

Threads
We have cut down some small trees in our back yard. Anyone know what we can use to take out the stumps? I don't want to hire a stump removal person, I would like to purchase something as we have a lot more trees to take down.
Any tractor or something like that with a tool on it?

rekees

Threads
A tractor with a backhoe would be the best tool but that would be some serious bucks. Perhaps you could find one at a rental store?

dcgrazier

Threads
Have you considered renting a stump grinder and do the job yourself? It would be much less expensive than renting or buying a backhoe.

harleyron74

Threads
If you want to buy A machine to take them out look up DRstumpgrinder.com They will send you A catalog with there product line.
i have no financial interest in DR and have not used there stump grinder but it sure looks like A winner on there DVD.
I do own 2 of there brush mowers and I couldn't be happier with them.
You could also consider A heavy duty weed wacker with A saw blade attachment. I have A Stihl 020AV that I have used to cut 3" stumps out but I wouldn't want to do it on A regular bases.

H.R.
P.S. Or buy A Case 1845C skid loader like I did. A bit overkill for stump pulling but A lot of fun in the woods!

mystreba

Threads
I am a religious DIY'er who will try ANYTHING before calling in a contractor. With stumps, I've gone both routes, and I'm of the opinion that DIY is simply not worth it in this case. Whenever I cut down a tree (usually several per year), I call in a contractor to remove the stump. Last week I had him come in and remove three stumps (12" diameter). With his remote-controlled robotic grinder, it took him 15 minutes and he took them down to the point that I could actually plant another tree there if I wanted. At $70, that's almost a no-brainer. Last year I organized with the neighbors for a group deal, and we got 30+ stumps done for around $400.

Zeroturn

Threads
Our neighbor has a backhoe. I never thought about asking him to come in and do it. I'm thinking it will be pretty messy right? I don't really want to dig up a lot of the yard- just remove the stumps. Do you think it will mess up the yard? I think it would pull the roots of the trees out of the ground.

Greenblades

Threads
If I had to take out a tree stump I would call my mother. She just took a stump out of her front yard with nothing but her bare hands and a trowel.

To be fair, it was actually a bush stump, but it was pretty much the same as a small tree. The first thing she did was cut all of the branches near the base at the ground. (It looked like mammoth ribs). Then she spent the next week digging down about two feet to where the roots had become about the thickness of a carrot.

Finally she used hedge clippers to clip each of the roots at that point. I don't know how she hauled it out of the hole since she doesn't have a truck or chains. I just know she is one tough momma. Perhaps it will work for others?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The back hoe is well suited to remove stumps:thumbsup:... The size of the stump will dictate how big a hole you will need to dig.... KennyV

noma

Threads
Hi

Another way to get ridge of stump is burn them out but you have to be carefull and depends where you live, i live in the country and on a acerage. But it doesn't work very well they have to be in the right condition and the weather has to be right to not to windy not to still so the ashes blow away as it burns. I don't think it will work good for you at all. You can put some chemical on them to but its not a good idea too they don't work good either. Stump grinder will be the best for you just rent one when you get some done and grind out a lot of them.

Deerebeer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do a google search for "NORTHERN TOOL SUPPLY". They have several tools ranging from hand stump pullers to heavy duty ones you hook to the tractor. :thumbsup: