How Aet Differential backlash JD214?

TominNTX

Forum Newbie
Threads
Folks,
I'm overhauling my JD-214 transaxle, Peerless 2333. I don't know how to set the tooth spacing (backlash) on the differential. The JD manual just says use as many washers (shims) as necessary. Anyone know how to set it?

Thanks,
TominNTX

CajunCub

Threads
It is supposed to be done with a "Magnetic Dial Lash Micromitor". It is usually found only in a OEM shop. I have set up alot of ring & pinions in diffs using a plain set of fela-gauges. For the black lash I would set it between .008" to .O12"....or another way to set it is by using engine assembley bearing wax thread...Kinda hard to do on a R&P though.

TominNTX

Forum Newbie
Threads
Folks,
I'm overhauling my JD-214 transaxle, Peerless 2333. I don't know how to set the tooth spacing (backlash) on the differential. The JD manual just says use as many washers (shims) as necessary. Anyone know how to set it?

Thanks,
TominNTX
===========================================
Folks,
I think I should have described my problem better: The JD-214 differential is a closed assembly of axle gears and spider gears. The spider gear backlash / tooth engagement is set by installing washers / shims behind the axle gears, on the axle shafts, inside the differential housing.

The spider gears are pushed out against the ring gear by the force of the axle gears and washiers / shims.

The axle gears are splined to the axles, with lock-rings. The end-play in the lock rings would add to the desired measurement and prevent taking a correct measurement on the ends of the axles.

I may be able to get feeler guages into the housing through small slots in the axle gear housings: If so, i will measure clearance there, being careful to take out the play correctly.

Or, I may be able to hang a magnetic dial indicator on the axle housing and measure end-play that way. It appears to be hard to be sure I've handled backlash correctly .

If nothing else works, I think I can add too many washers / shims and tighten the bolts very gently, carefully and evenly. I can then measure the gap between ring gear and housing endcap and calculate how many shims to remove to get 0.008 - 0.012" backlash / endplay / tooth engagement.

What do you think?

Tom in NTX

CajunCub

Threads
You can set it while it is half shell assembled.....the spacers are in different .001-.005 thicknesses to obtain the lash. Good Luck!

TominNTX

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is supposed to be done with a "Magnetic Dial Lash Micromitor". It is usually found only in a OEM shop. I have set up alot of ring & pinions in diffs using a plain set of fela-gauges. For the black lash I would set it between .008" to .O12"....or another way to set it is by using engine assembley bearing wax thread...Kinda hard to do on a R&P though.

I don't know how to measure it while it is half shell assembled. I haven't a clue.

Thanks,

TominNTX

TominNTX

Forum Newbie
Threads
By the way, the plasti-gage idea may be the best, except I don't know what the clearance would be. I am assuming that the 0.008 - 0.012 tolerance is for end-play in the inside of the differential case.

Thanks,
TominNTX