MTD won't go

RAPTOR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 20 year old, 46", 18 hp MTD lawn tractor. To make a long story short, i have replaced both drive belts with MTD OEM's and removed and serviced the variable pully. The mower deck works fine but some times the machine won't go forward or slows up to a stop like a belt is slipping. This has been a fine machine and i hate to replace it $$$$????.

Thanks
raptor

CajunCub

Threads
OK, does it have a stick or pedal for the travel?
You could check to see if it has loose bolts for the position of the lever is bent or the clip pin fell out. Jack it up and get under and have someone work the (What ever) to see if it is pulling the lever on the hydro/transaxle pump.

RAPTOR

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the reply. It has a pedal for clutch / brake and everything seems to be intact. Is there an adjustment for pedal travel? I can hook my foot under the pedal and help it back to a higher gear. What really puzzles me is that it will be going just fine and slow up and stop. Just like a belt slipping.

thanks again

CajunCub

Threads
Well, hate to bring you bad news....But, that sounds like some diff. internal problems. If it's a Hydro...it's in the pumpdrive. If you have a gear transaxle, it's the shaft spline or the shaft key(which is probablly a broken axle key valley. Either way, you gonna get dirt or spend some bucks.

RAPTOR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go ahead make my day

I'll pull the back wheels and check the splines.

Many Thanks

Mike

RAPTOR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled the back wheels and the keys and keyways were all good. I guess it's time to go shopping

thanks again

Mike

CajunCub

Threads
I was referring to the parts:laughing: INSIDE the transaxle....they are prone to break under a load like reverse to forward fast, or pulling a stump, or a camper trail...ect.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi RAPTOR, Welcome to LawnMowerForum! I have moved your thread to the Small Engine and Mower Repair Forum to help you get the best assistance possible. I hope you get it started again!