Another rusty bolt problem

Rooster7

Threads
I have a 6' 3-point King Kutter mower that I purchased used. It was time to change blades and they won't even budge with a 1/2" DeWalt impact wrench. I have never seen bolts rusted on this bad. I'm hoping that if I just keep spraying Deep Creep etc. on that they will eventually loosen up.

Has anybody ever had a bolt that an impact won't move? :confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well for THAT particular nut, it is not rust that's holding it... The torque value that attached it is far greater than the max output of your 1/2 inch tool.
If you are planing to get it off with a impact you will need a 1 inch drive, lots of torque.

Bush hog makes a tool that drops through the deck allowing you to attach above the deck and then stroke it with a HEAVY sledge hammer.
Short of using that approach, you will need to cut it off either with a O/A torch or a grinder with a cut off wheel.

You might get buy with lots of heat (cherry red) and your torque wrench... BUT you will then have to replace the Nut and Bolt :mad:, so you may as well cut them off. KennyV

rekees

Threads
You might be better off taking it to a tractor dealer. They would have the proper equipment to do the job.

OrtisEvans

Threads
I too have a 6' KK. Mine has REVERSE THREADS on the mower blade bolts! I have forgotten that a couple times - finally took a marker and wrote a note to myself on the deck. If rust is the issue, I have had great success with PB Blaster.

I have a 6' 3-point King Kutter mower that I purchased used. It was time to change blades and they won't even budge with a 1/2" DeWalt impact wrench. I have never seen bolts rusted on this bad. I'm hoping that if I just keep spraying Deep Creep etc. on that they will eventually loosen up.

Has anybody ever had a bolt that an impact won't move? :confused2:

Rooster7

Threads
First, thanks for the replies! You know I was thinking that as the impact was hammering away like crazy that it possibly has reverse threads. But then thought Naw they wouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

Are you able to get yours off with an impact wrench or do you heat/cut them off like Kenny suggests?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The problem with using a 1/2 inch impact on that nut is:
You need an extension to reach through the deck, anytime you put an extension on an impact you reduce its effectiveness by one half or more. (Extensions twist slightly and act like torsion bars) no good with an impact.
Once you have heated the bolt nut you take a chance of it failing, that's why I said just cut it off and replace it.

The bolt has a key built in it to keep from turning, so you will need to get that special purpose bolt.
If you can locate a bush hog special tool you can do it with a sledge and that tool... if not , find a shop that has a 1 inch impact, then you can usually reuse the hardware. KennyV

Rooster7

Threads
Kenny,
This one is a King Kutter and it has a bolt running up into the spindle from the bottom side. The impact socket goes directly on said bolt from underneath the deck. The blades came with new bolts. I'm going to try the reverse thread theory on it tonight and I'll post tomorrow if it worked.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This must be a KK finish mower?? I'm sorry I was thinking it was a KK rotary, slasher cutter, with a single blade set in the center.
On a finish mower with belt driven multiple blades OrtisEvans is right, KK and Big B mowers use left hand threads on the spindles. Most all others use right hand. KennyV
PS... Your impact will wizz those right out ... or should I say 'left out'...

Last edited:

Rooster7

Threads
Hey all,
Just got a chance to post now. Yep LH threads. Thanks Orvis! Came off with no effort at all. I should have just tried it for the heck of it when the thought crossed my mind. :rolleyes:

Kenny, Sorry. I should have clarified. It is a finish mower. New blades were on lickity split!

This forum is awesome!