Buying Advice Sears Craftsman PGT 9000 (Evaluation, Comparison & Experience)

trzrtree

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Sears Craftsman PGT 9000 (Evaluation, Comparison & Experience)
I shopped hard prior to making my Craftsman PGT 9000 purchase at Sears. I specifically needed an entry level Garden tractor that could not only do more than a typical Rider / Lawn Tractor, but have the necessary power available to pull the steep 2 acre hill on our property... The 28HP PGT 9000 with added Carlisle Heavy Lug rear tires and Sears Craftsman 55lbs rear wheel weights (for a combined $200+ dollars) help this tracotr do it well. -- My dissapointment is in the overall quality & design of this tractor for the $$ and in light of its status as being their "Top of the Line" Professional Garden Tractor, or (PGT).
The PGT 9000 is essentially a Cub Cadet GTX1054, but rather than a 26HP Kohler, you get a 28HP Briggs... By the way, if you need interchangeable parts, you can visit the Cub cadet site and type in GTX1054 for a detailed breakdown of items that will adapt directly to the PGT9000. -- Unfortunately, some of the short comings with this tractor (like the Cub Cadet) lag well behind lower competetive models within its class... For example:
The Deck Lowering System was engineered and designed very poorly. The cables over "plastic" pulleys are just a sorry excuse for a tractor supposed level, again as being offered as "Top of the Line"... The deck is heavy and basically suspended on cables over roller pulleys (what they call: adjustment cable pivots... or what I call Junk!). - The purchase of steel pulleys (approx. $20) will help matters, but even at that, the lowering / raising system on the 54' deck is cumbersome at best, particularly when considered against other brands that use a counter balancing style leverage system which makes the deck all most seem weightless and smooth by comparison (see Husky LGT 2554)
Additionally, the Front Wheels are not even equiped with Roller Bearings! This set up is clearly a cheap short cut. The tractors full weight rides over a greased shaft (axle) through, what best can be described as a wheel barrow rim. (for lack of a better decription). If you do not keep this routinely greased, the axle will wear hard in the underside of the shaft, as well as within the rim, which will inevitably create allot of play and result in needing replaced prematurely. - I tried to find a bearinged replacement, but the cheap shaft design that it rides on has made this very difficult. It would seem that both the axle (shaft) and rim togeter woukld need changed out, but I'm not sure what model/make would fit it, as the Cub Cadet has the same sorry design. -- John Deere LT170 & Husky LGT2554 both have Front Wheel Bearings.
The headlights do not have a seperate on/off switch. - Radio Shack fix w/ connectors ($8)
The steel & plastic hood (John Deere & Cub Cadet have heavy Plastic) tends to flip forward when descending a steep bumpy hill... The loose hood can be firmly secured with Rubber Hood Closures (NAPA $12) and hold down all of the vibration.
Decals routinely come off.. This is yet another cheesy feature. Other mowers/tractors have the decals molded or bonded into the plastic. The PGt 9000 has stickers which pull away from the dash or side rail and will not adhere to the plastic surfaces. - I might also add, depending on where you find this tractor on-line, you will notice images with and without the brush gaurd... I'm told that this is optional, but the adds do not detail this... After weeks of arguing with different the on-line sales reps, they finally agreed that this was an add error and decided to send me one. (not pictured).
It would seem that there are trade offs with every tractor within this class... If you need the extra HP's, this is probably the tractor for you... Many of the short comings can be addressed with a little more ca$h and effort, but others cannot.... If you can afford it and plan on using your tractor more heavily and for more than Lawn Care and Gardening (Tilling, Snow Removal, Hauling) year round, then I would suggest stepping up to a Kubota, John Deere X300 (or greater), or a Cub Cadet 2500 (or greater). These are nearly twice as much, but you get a huge jump in quality and craftmanship for the $$$.
The John Deere LT170, Husky 2554, & Cub Cadet 1054 all have plusses, minuses and trade offs between them too. Study them well before you make your purchase to decide what you feel you can live with or without for your needs. Make sure you can live with it's short comings and in many cases, poor design. I would also recommend going over the unit closely, as those who've assembled it may have jipped you out of a handful of nuts & bolts... trust me on this one.....

Attachments

• IMGP0008.jpg
    IMGP0008.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 70

mystreba

Threads
trzrtree - welcome to LMF! That was a great detailed review - thanks for posting. I just purchased the same tractor - it was "on sale" for $2800, which they claimed was ~$900 off regular price (of which I was skeptical). I was also looking at the JD X300 and Kubota, but in the end I couldn't justify the cost differential.

I have many of the same observations you have. First and foremost the ridiculous plastic deck pulleys. I posted a request on this forum for experience replacing with metal pulleys, but got no response. So if you do make the replacement please let us know how you did it.

I'm curious how you wired your headlamp switch. I may want to do the same. I don't mind the running lights, per se, but the units are not sealed, so if it rains I'd expect to have blown bulbs. Check out this post from member CajunCub - he has an LXT1046, and replaced his bulbs with HIDs and sealed the units.

I have already had issues with my deck, and had to place a service call today for a repair. The Deck Gear (part number 917-04074) is used to level the deck side-to-side. I think it's an ingenious design, but the part is made of some kind of cheap metal alloy, and one of the teeth on mine sheared off. I got it temporarily fixed but they're coming out to my house to replace it. I have the 3-year full in-home warranty, but they couldn't make it out to perform the repair until MAY 25th!! That's almost a MONTH! Fortunately, they're sending the part to my house so I'll be able to replace it before they come for the service - I'll just have them check everything out and adjust if necessary.

The deck wash system works great. I didn't use it the first couple of times I mowed, and wish I had. After two runs I had caked junk under the deck that needed to be scraped off. Once it's clean though, the deck wash system will keep it clean.

Removing the deck is simple enough on paper, but in reality it's a bit of a hassle. The front stabilizer bar has a bend in it that makes it impossible to get in or out of it's slot without a hammer. The lynch pin that holds it in place is made of the same cheap alloy, and mine is already bent (and likely will shear off soon, so I'm looking for a better-quality replacement).

The steering, as you point out, is funky, due to the design. If you run full speed on pavement the front wheels will track and need constant steering to keep straight. In other words, you can't just let go of the wheel and expect it to go straight. I knew this going in though - like you say if you want full bearings you'll pay almost twice as much for such a tractor.

I had the same observation about the brush guard, but not the same tenacity to fight it out with the sales folks. I tried to order one but it is out of stock - you probably got the last one!

All in all though, I love the tractor. It handles my field like a dream, which I know for a fact most lawn tractors won't. Since I don't have any steep hills I actually like the high CG - sitting up high with the arm rests is very comfortable.

Keep us posted on your experiences/upgrades!

Last edited:

CajunCub

Threads
OMG...you long winded Baptist preacher!:laughing: That is too much shit for even my wife to read!:biggrin:

mystreba

Threads
OMG...you long winded Baptist preacher!:laughing: That is too much shit for even my wife to read!:biggrin:

Long-winded. Baptist. Preacher.

One out of three ain't bad! :wink:

CajunCub

Threads
OK, I finished reading that...The kind of "lawn mower" that you want has a hood ornament :laughing:

Attachments

• mercedes-benz-three-point-star-hood-ornament.jpg
    mercedes-benz-three-point-star-hood-ornament.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10

fiddletownrob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have many of the same observations you have. First and foremost the ridiculous plastic deck pulleys. I posted a request on this forum for experience replacing with metal pulleys, but got no response. So if you do make the replacement please let us know how you did it.
QUOTE]

Here's a solution I'm trying now: Buy a Covert 2" Heavy-Duty Wall/Ceiling Mount Pulley from Lowes or other hardware store:

Shop Covert 2" Heavy-Duty Wall/Ceiling Mount Pulley at Lowes.com

Remove the 2" pulley from the hanger. Hammer the internal grommet/bushing flush with one side of the pulley. Replace existing plastic pulley using 5/16 x 1-1/2 fine threaded, stainless steel bolt and exiting nut from plastic pulley retainer bolt. [NOTE: the shoulder on the bolt needs to be approximately the same width as the internal bushing to achieve a secure, wobble free assembly]. Apply grease to bolt where it will contact the bushing. It's a tight fit so place the flush side of pulley toward outer side of tractor, tighten the nut securely then back off slightly so that the pulley will spin.

I installed it today, seems to work fine. We'll see how it holds up after the "mowing season"

RickO

Threads
Hi guys. I have about 4 acres to cut and the vanilla brand 42 inch deck/18hp wasn't cutting it. Pun intended. Just bought a PGT9000 w/a triple bagger at Sears for 2864. Sears Essentials is closing some stores and I hit the sale. This is a huge upgrade for me and even with considerations to the downsides, I'm pleased, (but haven't cut yet. I'm located in southern New Hampshire.)

My question for you is, the automatic shut off under the seat has five wires, G-Y-G-G-Y. Does anyone know what to do so the tractor continues to run when I jump off the seat to grab something? I don't want to defeat the tractor shutting down when I get off the seat with the blades engaged, just when it's running without the blades engaged.

Any input please?

Thanks in advance. - RickO

fiddletownrob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engaging the "parking break" allows the engine to continue to run while you're dismounted (assuming the PTO is not engaged)...

RickO

Threads
Thanks for the reply. Yes, in retrospect I did read that in the manual however apparently it didn't sink in. Slightly embarrassed.

RickO

Threads
Two questions please.

1. In regards to FiddleTownRob, yes engaging the parking brake works (and thank you for the reply) however it is not as ergonomic as I'd like, therefore I would still like to defeat that one particular switch. Again it's G,Y,G,G,Y. Any help here? There's no wiring info with any of the manuals.

2. This is simple but I do not have a multi-meter, (shame on me.) I bought some high power LED work lights that I am mounting on the push bar/bumper. The tractor headlights have a red and green wire. Which one is power?

Thank in advance.

RickO