Honda 16hp GXV530 Won't Crank

GMG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all and thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 2004 Craftsman LT2000 mower with a Honda GXV530-EXA2 motor that will not start or restart without being put on a charger. I've had the battery (1 yr old) tested and it is good. Suggestions?

Steve

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello all and thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 2004 Craftsman LT2000 mower with a Honda GXV530-EXA2 motor that will not start or restart without being put on a charger. I've had the battery (1 yr old) tested and it is good. Suggestions?

Steve

Try another battery to confirm.

Inspect the battery cables at all ends and be sure the connections are clean and tight.

So it starts just fine after the battery has been charged?

GMG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try another battery to confirm.

Inspect the battery cables at all ends and be sure the connections are clean and tight.

So it starts just fine after the battery has been charged?

I don't have a spare battery, but I had the battery tested at Autozone and it tested good. I've also disconnected and reconnected the battery cables at the battery and starter.

If I leave the charger on for a few minutes it will start.

GMG

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more piece of info to share . . . The charger indicates that battery is nearly fully charged, but the meter on the mower drops to zero when the ignition is turned on.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
One more piece of info to share . . . The charger indicates that battery is nearly fully charged, but the meter on the mower drops to zero when the ignition is turned on.

Sure sounds like the battery to me. While the tester might show it to be "good," the engine/starter does not share that opinion. :smile:

I would for sure try a new battery at this point, as it would absolutely indicate if the issue was with the battery or something on the engine.

GMG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sure sounds like the battery to me. While the tester might show it to be "good," the engine/starter does not share that opinion. :smile:

I would for sure try a new battery at this point, as it would absolutely indicate if the issue was with the battery or something on the engine.

I jumped it with my truck this morning and it started right up. Bought a new battery . . . No start.

Stand by. New battery not fully charged.

GMG

Forum Newbie
Threads
I jumped it with my truck this morning and it started right up. Bought a new battery . . . No start.

Stand by. New battery not fully charged.

Charged the battery overnight. Slight delay to crank, but did start. Ran the mower for a few minutes, emptied bagger, and restarted. Slightly longer delay, but did turn over and start.

I suspect that the battery is not causing the problem.

Last edited:

GMG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any other ideas?

GMG

Forum Newbie
Threads
With so many views and only one response, I am surprised. There is good news, however! The problem was caused by a faulty magnetic starter switch. You can buy this from Searspartsdirect with the starter attached for a little over $300. Or, you can order the switch by itself from boats.net for just over $100.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are losing amperage between the battery and the starter. You will need to take some readings with a multi- volt meter to see where you are losing it. Bad cables? bad connections? starter solenoid? safety switch? You can buy one of these multi-volt-meters from HF for around 5 dollars if you don't have one. A lot cheaper then trying new parts like the new battery you just bought for no reason.