Looking for DR "Bachtold" Field & Brush Mower Drive Gearbox

Valiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Looking for DR "Bachtold" Field & Brush Mower Drive Gearbox
Hi All,

I bought an "older" DR Field & Brush Mower that was built by the Bachtold Brothers under the DR name. It's nothing like the "new" DR mowers and in fact is pretty primitive - but that's how I like 'em! :D

My problem is that the wheel drive gearbox decided to spit the bit last summer and rather than spend a couple of dozen hours trying to pry the old one apart, find bearings, sprockets, and chains, and lovingly fit it back together - I was hoping to find a used, rebuilt, or even (gasp) new gearbox for this beastie.

I was referred to a place that supposedly sells parts - and they told me they had several last fall, but now, when I decided to buy one, they tell me they're "out of stock" with no information as to if and when they will be available.

Does anybody have a lead on one of these buggers? The mower is simple enough to last forever - but without that drive gearbox, it would have to be PUSHED around and it's a mite heavy for that.

Any leads would be appreciated - good leads even more!

V

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wonder if this is what you are looking for ?
FOR BACHTOLD REPLACEMENT PARTS

CONTACT US
Email
bachtold@midwestgibson.com

Customer Service Department
1-217-784-5161

509 West First Street
Gibson City, IL 60936-0485​

Valiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unfortunately - those are the guys who would have it - but they are out of stock and didn't know when or if they'd get it back in stock.

Any other leads?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just did a search for "Bachtold Brothers DR parts" there were a number of hits.
I use Dogpile Web Search for a search engine.

Good luck !

skmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
did you find a gear box for your bachtold I had one that was rebuilt I will look for it if you are still in need

Valiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
DEFINITELY interested - please let me know if you find it!

skmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the gearbox i am going to try to send a pic along with this I couldnt find the gear for one side hopefully you have one off yours I hope this is the one you need . its been rebuilt and was never used after rebuild my brother gave me a the machine in pieces after he had it rebuilt and I never put it together

Attachments

• 0712112137_0001.jpg
    0712112137_0001.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 41

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hope that you can find the gearbox that you need -- I can't help with that.

I am curious about your brush mower as a whole, having seen newer DR models and having a Billy Goat brush mower (with a Honda engine) myself.

Could you post a photo of the mower? I'm also curious about why you prefer this one to the later models.

Here's a photo of my Billy Goat:

Billy-1.jpg

Valiant

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a pic of the model I have - not mine - this one looks new/clean.

Not so much that I "like" it better than newer DR's or competing brands - just that this one met my highest criteria: it was CHEAP. Then again, after a new battery, rebuilding the recoil starter, belts, time - maybe it wasn't so cheap. It's likely not as easy to use as newer ones, but it gets the job done.

There is at least one notable thing I like about it - none of those damn "Lawyer switches" - I HATE it when a mower shuts off when you let go of the handle or a tractor shuts down then you get up. Yes, I understand some yahoos cut their hands and feet off and they manufacturers are afraid of lawsuits - but I just hate the inconvenience.

Attachments

• 04043.jpg
    04043.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 40

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is a pic of the model I have - not mine - this one looks new/clean.

Not so much that I "like" it better than newer DR's or competing brands - just that this one met my highest criteria: it was CHEAP. Then again, after a new battery, rebuilding the recoil starter, belts, time - maybe it wasn't so cheap. It's likely not as easy to use as newer ones, but it gets the job done.

There is at least one notable thing I like about it - none of those damn "Lawyer switches" - I HATE it when a mower shuts off when you let go of the handle or a tractor shuts down then you get up. Yes, I understand some yahoos cut their hands and feet off and they manufacturers are afraid of lawsuits - but I just hate the inconvenience.

I have seen those "big wheel" models. Thanks for posting the photo.

I agree about the "lawyer switches" -- everybody who buys a new mower has to deal with that because of a small number of people who don't know to keep hands and feet out of the way of a spinning blade. :eek: