Buying a new mower

christopher1164

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to buy a new push "gas" mower, i'm looking at either a husqvarna,ariens or craftsmen. Any suggestions??? I have noticed that the husqvarna and ariens are a little hard to find at the local lawn and garden shops.....

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get the most maneuverable and lightest of the two... good exercise but after many years of it, you will appreciate weight and easy movement the most... KennyV

rekees

Threads
Whichever brand you buy, I'd suggest getting a self propelled. The extra cost is worth the ease of pushing. I have 2 Craftsman. Have had rather good luck with them and parts are always available from Sears. No experience with the other 2 brands.

jimbo64

Threads
I'm looking to buy a new push "gas" mower, i'm looking at either a husqvarna,ariens or craftsmen. Any suggestions??? I have noticed that the husqvarna and ariens are a little hard to find at the local lawn and garden shops.....

check out toro self propelled-great rep and consumer reports rate them highly:thumbsup:

mamaA

Threads
I would also recommend a self propelled. Also, when buying keep in mind the cost of parts and labor if you ever have to have it repaired. Make sure the brand you purchase will be easy to have repaired.

Greenblades

Threads
I'm a fan of self propelled, but make sure you like the safety feature for stopping, and around the base to protect from thrown objects. Its been a while since I've had to mow lawns. (Soon I'm going to have to be doing it to my lawn again. I'm kind of excited, so I'm trying to prep. )

But from what I remember, some of the automatic stop features either killed the engine or disengaged it. Good safety features can save fingers and toes.

Pete.S

Threads
I also recommend self propelled mowers. The type all depends on the terrain you are going to mow. If you have a nice flat putting green area a front wheel drive will work nicely. If you have to steer around a lot of obstacles, the front wheel drive with the high rear wheels will be a good choice. If your lawn is hilly, then your best bet will be a rear wheel drive self propelled mower. When mowing accross hills, we have a tendency to push down on the handle thereby raising the front drive wheels. If you push down with RWD, you enhance the traction. The only problem with RWD is working around obstacles. I personally have three Toro's from 6 years to 6 months old and use the heck out of them.