Shindaiwa EB2510 (Walbro WYL) blower idle problem

mooch91

Threads
All,

I consider myself to be somewhat of an accomplished shadetree small engine repair mechanic, but I've had two problems this year that have been kicking my butt.

First off is an issue with a Shindaiwa EB2510 (4-cycle) handheld leaf blower. This is Shindaiwa's "professional" series, purchased about 3 years ago.

Some time during the second year, the blower got difficult to run, especially when warm. At open choke, the blower would stall out quite regularly when running it at wide open throttle. At half choke, the blower still worked adequately, so I never bothered to look in to it any deeper.

This year, ran the blower once so far. Second time I went to use it, it wouldn't run unless choke was on full. I knew it was time to tear down the carb for a diagnosis.

Once I got in to the carb (Walbro WYL series), I knew immediately there was a problem:

IMG-20110427-00074.jpg

IMG-20110427-00079.jpg

You can see the residue caked up along the passages, diaphragms, and gaskets - I'm guessing that water in the fuel resulted in some growth within the carb and clogged the jet and/or passages up.

I cleaned it up real well (required some scrubbing to get the powdery residue out since carb cleaner was ineffective for dissolving it) and all looked good. I used rebuild kit K20-WYL to rebuild the unit and put it back together.

It actually runs real well at WOT now, but I'm still having a little trouble with idle. Once warmed up and choke is open, it will idle well but will occasionally stall out at idle. Transition from idle to WOT is a bit laggy as well. It won't still all the time, but does still frequently.

I've checked out Walbro's info on the theory of operation for this carb:
http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/WYLseries.pdf

The Shindaiwa has no idle mix adjustment screws as described within Walbro's documentation, only an idle speed screw. There's a non-removable brass fitting on top of the throttle lever, no plastic plug and no black screw as described within the documentation. I'm guessing the carb is a hair rich or lean at idle but don't know of any way to adjust.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is to open the throttle component of the carb back up and look to see if I missed any cleaning within the throttle barrel that could be causing this situation.

Thanks in advance!

jeff

Threads
I think that there is still some debris in the system that occasionly blocks some of the passages. Try running it with a little SeaFoam in the gas for a while, it may fix the problem.

darito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dude, I have exactly the same problem. That document from Walbro however does state that their carbs DO have an idle adjustment option. It describes 2 options, one is a black screw and the other is a white plug I think. Like you said, I also have a brass hole on the throttle assembly pivot. I suspect that there's supposed to be a screw/plug in that brass hole. In fact my Shindaiwa manual shows a plug but mine is missing it. Maybe that plug/screw is supposed to be the one they mention in the Walbro document to adjust the idle. Did you fix your problem/ call the dealer?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
welcome to ethanol gas!....you may have to soak overnight and go thru it all again...make sure you cover everything.....most rebuild kits are minimal and dont cover a total teardown ...sometimes your forced to get a new carb

mooch91

Threads
Dude, I have exactly the same problem. That document from Walbro however does state that their carbs DO have an idle adjustment option. It describes 2 options, one is a black screw and the other is a white plug I think. Like you said, I also have a brass hole on the throttle assembly pivot. I suspect that there's supposed to be a screw/plug in that brass hole. In fact my Shindaiwa manual shows a plug but mine is missing it. Maybe that plug/screw is supposed to be the one they mention in the Walbro document to adjust the idle. Did you fix your problem/ call the dealer?

So I did have to open it back up again, let it soak some more, then put it back together. This time I bumped up the throttle adjustment (idle speed) just a hair and it has been fine ever since. Added a little Seafoam to the fuel/oil mix after the last rebuild too. Actually runs as well as brand new now. Probably didn't get everything "out" the first time.

I've become quite an expert with Walbro carbs this year, shortly after I posted this, the one on my string trimmer started giving me trouble as well. For this one, I wasn't so lucky. Rebuilt it quite a few times and just couldn't get the thing to idle. Ended up buying a new carb ($50) and it has been perfect ever since. Reddragon's advice seems to be spot on fron my experience - some times you do need to just buy a new carb. At the $20 cost for the rebuild kits, I may just go right for the new carb if I experience these problems in the future.

I'm also going to be much more vigilant about emptying all fuel out of my equipment at the end of the season this year.

darito

Forum Newbie
Threads
By letting it soak overnight you mean soaking the carb parts in carb cleaner? Because I also think that's a must. However, I don't clean diaphragms in carb cleaner as I think it can be too harming. Emptying fuel before long-term storage is also a must.

So you never touched the screw/plug inside the brass hole then? Throttle idle adjustment screw it's a different thing though, it does not affect fuel/air mix like the first screw we were talking about.

BTW I got a new set of carb diaphragms and I noticed they come with some sort of white thin powder coating (so they don't stick to each other when stored in the bag?). I jus t wanna know if you guys clean them with something before installing or you just install all parts dry and start the engine?

darito

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Shindaiwa EB2510 (Walbro WYL) blower idle problem
BUMP. Opinions?