Repairs John Deere leaking underneath seat/gas tank

RachelleT

Threads
Hello everyone.

I have a John Deere 425 with a 60 inch deck.

I was mowing the other day, raising the deck off and on. I started to smell something that smelled like oil burning. I looked around on the mower. I finally saw a fluid on under the seat/gas tank on the right side, on the other side of the tire. I took off the seat/cover/tank. And took pictures. The deck will still raise and lower by the way. There isnt anything that seems to NOT be working.

I did notice that there is a threaded silver area, nothing in the hole, and I have concern that should have something in it. I am a single lady, trying to learn how to take care of some of this myself. So any help from you all would be GREATLY appreciated, because I've been at this toooooo long.

Thank you!!! :newhere:

Rachelle

Attachments

• JD.JPG
    JD.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 85
  • close up.JPG
    close up.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 72
  • without cover.JPG
    without cover.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 63

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for re-posting this here, RachelleT. :ashamed:

I hope you get an answer. :thumbsup:

WELCOME TO LMF!!!!!!:biggrin:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rachelle,

As I said, I'm not familiar with this particular mower, but it sounds to me like you have a hydraulic fluid leak. Are there any hoses or fittings connected to a hydraulic cylinder in the area ? One of the first things I would do is get everything clean in the area and then try one thing at a time (starting with raising and lowering the deck) while standing still. If you don't find a leak, go a short distance in forward and reverse and check.
Looks like that might be the filler for the Hydraulic on the transmission - Are all those nuts and bolts tight ? It could be just a little leak at a gasket. ??

Let us know what you find ! Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

RachelleT

Threads
After searching again, I ran across a "kit" you can buy to replace the black piece in the picture. It was called a transaxle vent valve. It just doesnt say what it's for. So, away to google land I go.

Hello everyone.

I was mowing the other day, raising the deck off and on. I started to smell something that smelled like oil burning. I looked around on the mower. I finally saw a fluid on under the seat/gas tank on the right side, on the other side of the tire. I took off the seat/cover/tank. And took pictures. The deck will still raise and lower by the way. There isnt anything that seems to NOT be working.

I did notice that there is a threaded silver area, nothing in the hole, and I have concern that should have something in it. I am a single lady, trying to learn how to take care of some of this myself. So any help from you all would be GREATLY appreciated, because I've been at this toooooo long.

Rachelle

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe the transaxle vent valve may indeed be the problem - it may be venting fluid instead of allowing air flow.

Just a side note --- I use Dogpile as a search engine (it searches multiple other search engines all from one place !

Dogpile Web Search

Black Bart

Threads
Rachelle I'm not familiar with that model but from the photo it looks like something has fell off because everything is dirty but around that hole it is clean meaning something was on their.

My guess is that vent valve came off and it is blowing oil.

Replace with a new valve and fill transmission to proper level and all will be well. :thumbsup:

RachelleT

Threads
update: the deck will not raise or lower now, and the rear end is extremely hit after mowing. I checked the fluid under the seat, the level is good.

Hello everyone.

Rachelle

RachelleT

Threads
update: the deck will not raise or lower now, and the rear end is extremely hot after mowing. I checked the fluid under the seat, the level is good.

Thanks

RachelleT

Threads
I quit having the original problem I started with. Now, the deck wont lower or raise, and it smells and IS extremely hot underneath the seat, whatever part that is between the back wheels. I sure wish my dad had taught me about mechanical issues. LOl

I believe the transaxle vent valve may indeed be the problem - it may be venting fluid instead of allowing air flow.

Just a side note --- I use Dogpile as a search engine (it searches multiple other search engines all from one place !

Dogpile Web Search

Rachelle,

As I said, I'm not familiar with this particular mower, but it sounds to me like you have a hydraulic fluid leak. Are there any hoses or fittings connected to a hydraulic cylinder in the area ? One of the first things I would do is get everything clean in the area and then try one thing at a time (starting with raising and lowering the deck) while standing still. If you don't find a leak, go a short distance in forward and reverse and check.
Looks like that might be the filler for the Hydraulic on the transmission - Are all those nuts and bolts tight ? It could be just a little leak at a gasket. ??

Let us know what you find ! Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

After searching again, I ran across a "kit" you can buy to replace the black piece in the picture. It was called a transaxle vent valve. It just doesnt say what it's for. So, away to google land I go.

Conductor

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have a leak from the filler tube under the gas tank. You need to remove six bolts. 4 bolts where the fender connects to the foot supports and the 2 on the top of the fender located on each side of the seat. Remove the rear fender. The gas tank now will just lift up. The hydraulic filler tube has 2 bolts that are loose. This tube has a rubber ring gasket. Remove both bolts and lift off the filler tube clean the area reinstall the tube and make sure the 2 bolts are tight. Put it all back together. Good luck it is a pretty simple fix.