Fluid leaking underneath the seat and gas tank

RachelleT

Threads
I have a John Deere 425. I was mowing the other day, raising the deck off and on. I started to smell something that smelled like oil burning. I looked around on the mower. I finally saw a fluid on under the seat/gas tank on the right side, on the other side of the tire. I took off the seat/cover/tank. And took pictures. The deck will still raise and lower by the way. There isnt anything that seems to NOT be working.

I did notice that there is a threaded silver area, nothing in the hole, and I have concern that should have something in it. I am a single lady, trying to learn how to take care of some of this myself. So any help from you all would be GREATLY appreciated. :frown:

Thank you!!!

Rachelle

Attachments

• close up.JPG
    close up.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 26
  • without cover.JPG
    without cover.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 27
  • JD.JPG
    JD.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 25

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I don't mean to be a jerk, but there is a John Deere forum here. Right on this site. Nice pics you posted. They'll be helpful, once this thread is moved.

Could you at least say 'Hi' first? That's what the 'new members' forum is FOR. Questions go elsewhere. :biggrin:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rachelle,
Welcome to the Forum !
Your introduction goes here in new members. Questions about John Deere should go in John Deere Forum or in the repair section.

I don't know about your particular problem, but it will help to include as many specifics about model, engine, mower deck, etc. as possible.

Glad to see you are attempting to learn about taking care of your own equipment and yard work. I'm sure you'll get some good help here and will enjoy the Forum. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rachelle,
Welcome to the Forum !
Your introduction goes here in new members. Questions about John Deere should go in John Deere Forum or in the repair section.

I don't know about your particular problem, but it will help to include as many specifics about model, engine, mower deck, etc. as possible.

Glad to see you are attempting to learn about taking care of your own equipment and yard work. I'm sure you'll get some good help here and will enjoy the Forum. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Thanks, BK.........I just want to try and save Briana some work.......:laughing: THere are a LOT of questions posted here, and they shouldn't be.

Welcome to LMF, BTW Rachelle! Sorry if I seemed like a knob.......:ashamed:

RachelleT

Threads
Well actually, when I was googling help for this issue, where I posted is what came up and where my post was placed. So if I committed a huge offense I surely do apologize. I simply wanted help and I am at the end of my rope trying to figure out what's wrong. I guess I didn't come to a the right place, becuase I am very clearly being treated poorly for having made the mistake.

Hi, my name is Rachelle. I like Dr. Pepper, I have one brother, 2 children. I like Greys Anatomy. I try to spread a smile to those around me and always try to do the right thing. I am not sure of my blood type, but I can get that if it helps get an answer to my two day ordeal. Oh and I like snow and believe in God.

Hope that will suffice all of the social requirements.:thumbdown:

I have a John Deere 425. I was mowing the other day, raising the deck off and on. I started to smell something that smelled like oil burning. I looked around on the mower. I finally saw a fluid on under the seat/gas tank on the right side, on the other side of the tire. I took off the seat/cover/tank. And took pictures. The deck will still raise and lower by the way. There isnt anything that seems to NOT be working.

I did notice that there is a threaded silver area, nothing in the hole, and I have concern that should have something in it. I am a single lady, trying to learn how to take care of some of this myself. So any help from you all would be GREATLY appreciated. :frown:

Thank you!!!

Rachelle

RachelleT

Threads
My apologies for posting incorrectly. Google placed me where I posted. i do appreciate you not being rude to me for an innocent mistake. Thank you for the tips. Have a great day. :wink:

Thank you!!!

Rachelle

Rachelle,
Welcome to the Forum !

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, all I have to say is, you posted here without REGISTERING? Last time I knew, you couldn't post unless you are a member. Membership requires a registration, unless things have changed, which would explain why so many people post in the "hello" section....hmmmmm

GOOGLE didn't place you in this forum I have a feeling, the REGISTRATION did. As did it direct you to to just say Hi here, and post your questions elsewhere....did you read that part? I fear you didn't....so don't bore me with the blather about 'social whatever'. Thank You! :smile: The whole thing can be fixed by just asking your question in the John Deere forum above, on the main page. Then this can all get deleted, and you can just say hello here! Not a big deal......not a monarchy......just have the decency to look over a site you're looking for help from first!

Sorry for suggesting anything at all....do what you want. Sorry again.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to LMF, Rachelle. I have moved this thread to the John Deere forum. No worries about posting in the new members forum. :smile:

Buckshot721

Threads
Make sure your hydro filter is on tight, its located where the drive shaft goes into the transmission. Is it a all wheel steer? Check your oil level to make sure it's not empty. Wipe off as much oil as you can, start the tractor and raise and lower your mower deck a few times to check for leaks. I have seen the transaxle blow oil out before because it was over filled, the bolt hole you have might be for the seat mount, if I have time I will check mine tomorrow. Hopefully it's something simple. Good luck!! Watch out for the forum cops!!

RachelleT

Threads
Re: UPDATE and NEW PROBLEM: Fluid leaking underneath the seat and gas tank

Hello everyone. I hope this post finds you well and wearing a smile. :smile:

Update but more help needed. The leak around that valve stopped. Everything was fine but....now the deck will not raise or lower. And after about an hour and half mowing there is a burning/hot smell at the large metal housing ...is it the trans?...between theback tires. I checked the fluid in it, there is plenty..but...it does seem thinner than say motor oil and it has a "burned" smell to it, though not super strong.

So, I have no clue where to start and would greatly appreciate any help you can give me. I have searched hours on the net for anything even similar and have come up with nothing.

My mower is a riding mower John Deere 425 by the way.